Discussion Board

Thread: nokia 3230

nokia 3230

is the mp3 output in the headset stereo or mono?

I'm very interested for this

I want to know is is mono or stereo. Because in the mono it will be poor.

Nokia Developer Expert
    It is stereo, in fact I suppose also earlier Nokia devices with MP3 player are stereo. You naturally need to have also Nokia stereo headset (or Nokia Music Stand).

Nokia Developer Expert
    Hmmm, it seems it is not quite how I thought. 3230 and 6260 don't play MP3 in real stereo after all, only mono sound is divided into two earpiece, even if the FM radio is stereo. Whereas at least Nokia 6630 and 6620 have a real MP3 Stereo. Sorry for the misinformation.

It's a very pitty

It's a very pitty. I want to buy 3230 or 6260 but if they can't play real stereo a i won't buy them. And i haven't 500 Euro to buy 6630. (6620 is not in Czech republic). But why they can¨t play real stereo mp3? There's a hardware player or software player??? If it's software player, there is symbian OS, so i can install another aplication, which can play real stereo mp3. And can it plays another formats in real stereo? Perhaps *.aac,ra,rm,ram,ogg,wma.......... I want to know it. Because nokia 6260 is very nice (maybe the camera would be 1 megapixel).

Oh sorry, no 500 Euro but cca 630 Euro.

I'm only student so i haven't so much money....

Hi,

I just bought Nokia 3230 and I notice that the sound coming out from the music player is not stereo. Even though I use the headset/earphone.

But how can the FM Radio is stereo? I suppose this is a matter of software, isn't it?

Nokia Developer Champion
    It is a matter of hardware. The FM radio chip & related DAC (Digital/Analog Converter) has stereo output capability, but for the software based MP3 player (or any other software) it is not possible (and cannot be changed without redesigned hardware).