Discussion Board

Deployment on actual 9500

Guys,

I'd like to ask how you deploy the actual Personal Java App with the .j9 file on the actual 9500 phone?

I'm using PROTO F5
    Type: RA-2

I'm looking for the runtime environment path on this phone similar to the sdk 2 published by nokia.

Deployment of a Java application to the 9500 is actually fairly simple: just move the .jar to the 9500 using bluetooth or some other means, then open it. This will start the installer and install it as a new application.

I found, however, that the installer is somewhat picky about the contents of the MANIFEST.MF file. It should look about as follows:

Manifest-Version: 1.0
    PproApp-Version: 0.1
    Main-Class: WhatEverClass
    PproApp-Name: WhatEverName
    PproApp-Vendor: WhatEverVendor

Hi,

I created a new topic called 'Installer'. In my opinion a SIS installer is the professional way to deploy an application to the actual phone. Many applications consist of many files, and additionaly, most of the users don't know what to do with a .jar file. If they double click it there is a very good possibility that winzip, winrar will recognize it as an archive or they have j2se installed on their pc and it will try to handle the .jar. This confuses a lot of users and they won't bother to try out how to install the application.
    However, the problem with SIS installer is that there is not too much information available in the subject of 'PersonalProfile vs installer'.

Bye
    Gabor

Nokia Developer Expert
    Hello,

There are basically two ways to run PP applications: 1) by using JAR file and .j9 file and 2) by using JAR file, which contains a manifest file with some special attributes ( as shown by garzotto above). The main differences between these two ways is that when you use .j9 file, you can launch the app by using this file. And when you use these special attributes in the manifest file, you can install the PP application properly for "normal" launch.

Personally I think that using .j9 file is handy in development phase, but for the final version of your application proper installation is better solution.

More information about Personal Profile applications can be found here:
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/java -> Documents -> Personal Profile Documents

Regards,
    Jarmo
    Forum Nokia

Hi Jarmo,

Thanks for your reply.
    My main problem is that my application consists of more than one files so that I want to create a SIS installer that deploys all parts of my app to the phone. I'm quite experienced in creating SIS installer files, I created many installers for pJava apps for Nokia 9210 and P800/P900 but it seems that this SIS thing doesn't want to work on 9500. It seems that the installer installs all parts of my app to the phone properly but when I try to start the app I receive the 'Unable to launch <appname> error message and nothing happens.

My quiestion is: is it possible to create SIS installer for PersonalJava app on 9500 or not?

Nokia Developer Expert
    Hello,

Basically, in this case of Personal Profile apps, you can use SIS file mainly for copying files to the certain folders. You can't automatize the whole installation process. That's because you have to install the PP application by opening the JAR file and this is not possible, while you are in the middle of installing the SIS file!

Nokia 9210/9210i Communicators and I guess also SE P800/P900 all have PersonalJava, not J2ME Personal Profile implementation. Nokia 9300/9500 Communicators have J2ME Personal Profile implementation and it is working a little bit differently.

Regards,
    Jarmo
    Forum Nokia

I just wanted to create an installer for my app that installs the required files, libraries and places an app icon. Nothing special here. That's all I wanted and it worked on 9210. I understand that j2me personal profile is a bit different than personaljava but there is nothing in personal profile that prevents the presence of an installer. I don't want to name platforms here in nokia forum that support personal profile and also proper installer for personal profile apps in order for the user to have the same experience as in case of native apps.

Anyway, thank you for your response Jarmo. I guess the quality of the personal profile implementation on 9500 is not your fault.
    I'm just sooo disappointed. PersonalProfile could have been a great platform to unleash the existing java codebase on 9500 but the whole implementation is so buggy that it's almost useless.

Originally posted by zgabor43
    ...the installer installs all parts of my app to the phone properly but when I try to start the app I receive the 'Unable to launch <appname> error message and nothing happens.

My quiestion is: is it possible to create SIS installer for PersonalJava app on 9500 or not?
    So, did you make an .app file and try to launch that? Seems to fail here too...

Isn't there a way to install the stuff with a sis - the actual app residing in a jar with a proper manifest (or maybe use .j9)? Have to try this one...

Yes, I tried to create an .app file and all the required files for a working SIS installer package but doesn't work. I created SIS installer files for our pJava apps for UIQ platform and Nokia 9210 and I'm quite experienced in this subject but the 9300/9500 vs. SIS installer for PersonalProfile thing doesn't work.

It seems that it is not sis installation/installer that is not working - rather it is the .app/.aif launcher thing (done with the aifbuilder tool), am I right?

In the docs (S80_DP2_0_PP_SDK_Users_Guide.pdf, ch 5.7, p 28 ) it is said:

"Nokia 9500 Communicator Personal Profile Java applications can be distributed in the form of standard Java Archive (JAR) file. Applications can also be packaged in Symbian Installation System .sis."

Alas, there is only the jar option explained. And many apps - like ours - include data files not quite reasonable to include in a jar.

As this is would not be enough, the aifbuilder either produces non-working stuff (as noted by zgabor43) or 'AIF Builder does not work in all environments' (as said on SDK release notes) - for me (and for couple of other posters here) it stops with a msg 'Internal Error - cpp.exe returned the error code 2'.

I am now trying to figure out if it would be possible to do a sis installer without .app??
    Last edited by jprosti; 2005-05-04 at 08:18.

Some clarifications

Originally posted by garzotto
    ...the contents of the MANIFEST.MF file. It should look about as follows:

Manifest-Version: 1.0
    PproApp-Version: 0.1
    Main-Class: WhatEverClass
    PproApp-Name: WhatEverName
    PproApp-Vendor: WhatEverVendor
    This can be found in the S80_DP2_0_PP_SDK_Users_Guide.pdf.

Also an icon may be provided (in the jar) with a line in the manifest file:

PproApp-Icon: WhatEver.png

In addition the installer asks where to install (main memory or mem card) and creates the 'launch icon' (asks the user where to). Also uninstallation works fine (by Control panel/Application manager).

You can transfer the jar file to the Communicator by any means (IR, BT, PC Suite File Transfer, memory card reader/writer ...and OTA download I guess). The 'most official' way to deploy applications is of course by using the PC Suite Application Installer... ;)

Unluckily this does not solve our (and seemingly some others) problem with 'non-jar-able' data files. I am nearly ready to resort to the last option of making separate install-packages for our app and data (for our situation it would not be as bad as for some try-and-buy apps). Anyone any help on this?
    Last edited by jprosti; 2005-05-04 at 11:41.

And what about JNI dlls?? Just had it almost solved by putting our app in a jar and the data files in a sis, but where to stuff the dlls? PP supports JNI, but 9500 installation system seemingly does not...

Super Contributor

Re: Deployment on actual 9500

Resuming this ancient topic just to ask a question: does this PersonalJava program work on 9500? Maybe it would have wrongly placed controls,but... does it start?

http://jumpjack.altervista.org/juiqdiz-eng.html