Discussion Board

Card Phone and PowerBook G3 Pismo

I recently bought a card phone 2.0 from eBay and am having a few problems. I cannot find a fault with the actual card and believe it to be working fine. However when I put in my SIM card (a Pay as you go 02 sim), the card phone can never seem to make a connection. When I launch the Mac software, the signal strength is zero (and when I try to use it as a modem it states there is no carrier signal), and it cannot read any contact info off the sim card. I've double and triple checked the card is in the right way round and I should have enough signal strength, since when the sim is in my Nokia 7110 the signal strength is nearly maximum. Can anyone suggest what might be wrong?

Dan

RE: Card Phone and PowerBook G3 Pismo

When I got my Nokia Phone Card 2.0, I was told I could only use it with a High Speed Data contract with Orange. Not sure if that's still the case, but it may be worth checking with O2, if they support this Phone Card.

Which version of MACOS are you running? Believe it or not, the card phone doesn't work under MACOS/X, it needs version 9.

I'm running OS 9 and o2 say they do not support HSCSD. However I was under the impression you could use any network with the card just that it wouldn't support HSCSD and you'd get the 9.6KBps speeds? Is that not true? Can you only use HSCSD supported networks with the card phone?

Dan