Discussion Board

Stream muxing when recording with MMAPI

Hi folks,

I'm currently looking for audio/video capture capabilities of JSR-135.

When capturing several media at a time (i.e. Manager.openPlayer("capture://audio_video") , the API provides means to control encodings for audio and video, but does anyone have a clue on how both streams are muxed/encapsulated into a single data segment ?
    Does MMAPI specify this issue ?
    Is it 3GP or something like that ?

Anyway, I've found no emulators capable of audio-video recording yet (and there may not be any actual phone supporting it for the time being), but I really would like to play recorded media outside of my application.
    Any help or suggestion will be welcome

Hello

Is there really nobody with some clues about this question ?
    I looked again in the MMAPI specs and it even seems that no temporal compression is available for video capture. Only supported encodings for video are said to be "gray8", "rgb888", "bgr888", "rgb565", "rgb555", "yuv444", "yuv422", "yuv420", "jpeg" and "png" when creating the Player, so theorically I get motion-JPEG at best.

Maybe I just got this wrong so I would greatly appreciate an answer. It would really a pity if a third party application can't access video capabilities of nowadays' handsets.

Hello again

For any people interested in that issue, it is solved by JSR 234 (Advanced Multimedia Complements) but has no actual implementation yet.
    (feedback from PV seemed to indicate they had a hard time doing an actual implementation because of the processing power limit andt the overhead of Java)

stream the cam preview

Hey there,

I believe you can help me at this.

I want to write a midlet to stream the video playback from nokia 6600 to pc. Is it possible to do this.

I found in the MMAPI documents that we can have camera video playback on form or on canvas , now can I stream any of these object with the picture in it continuously over the bluetooth using bluetooth api.

Any help is appreciated.

Is it possible to do this using symbian c++ if not through java.

Well, from my experience with 6600, on those terminals you'll be at best able to open video-only capture and won't get any RecordControl from the Player object so the only feasible thing is getting still images from the VideoControl and then sending them through BlueTooth.

This might be very resource-consuming so you should not expect a high frame rate.

Also note that requesting a resolution different from the display resolution of the VideoControl object would issue in rescaling the widget image, slowing down the application even more (the MMAPI implementation doesn't let one get images worth the actual captor resolution).

stream cam preview to pc

Thanks for replying Emmanuel.

Is it possible to implement this using symbian c++ so that I can get a better frame rate and better resolution supported by the 6600.

Please suggest any tutorials on symbian c++ regarding this topic. I am really new to the symbian platform.

Regular Contributor

Question Re: Stream muxing when recording with MMAPI

what r the benefits of YUV420 ?

regards
    nEo