Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Icons and Java PP Applications

Hello,

is it possible to create Icons for PP Apps (like with Midlets on Series60) and place them on Phones Desktop or is the only way to start Java PP Apps via the File Explorer?

Regards,
    Sebastian

You have to create a SIS installer file for your application. If you do so, you can create a so called mbm file which contains the app icons in different sizes. mbm files can be generated with AIFBuilder. This SIS installer stuff worked perfectly on 9210 and it should work on 9300/9500.

After you have had AIFBuilder generated the necessary files (.mbm, .app etc.) create a .pkg file (simple text file) that contains the name of the files that will be installed to the device and use makesis to create the SIS installer package. As far as I know the documentation has a sample pkg file.

But, to tell the truth, I have't tried this installer stuff on 9500 yet.

Regular Contributor
    Originally posted by zgabor43
    You have to create a SIS installer file for your application. If you do so, you can create a so called mbm file which contains the app icons in different sizes. mbm files can be generated with AIFBuilder. This SIS installer stuff worked perfectly on 9210 and it should work on 9300/9500.

After you have had AIFBuilder generated the necessary files (.mbm, .app etc.) create a .pkg file (simple text file) that contains the name of the files that will be installed to the device and use makesis to create the SIS installer package. As far as I know the documentation has a sample pkg file.

But, to tell the truth, I have't tried this installer stuff on 9500 yet.
    You talk about Symbian Applications, sure it's works also for Java?

Regards,
    Sebastian

It should, I managed to create SIS installer for pJava apps for 9210 and UIQ.
    Anyway, please note that AIFBuilder has a Java checkbox. Without proper installer an application worth almost nothing.

Nokia Developer Expert

Adding your own icon for PP apps

Hello,

It is possible to create icons for PP applications as you described, by using the tools included with the PP SDK. Another possibility is also to add a certain attribute to the PP application's JAD file's manifest file.

The example of possible manifest file content could be as follows:
    Manifest-Version: 1.0
    Main-Class: MyApp
    PproApp-Name: My App
    PproApp-Vendor: My Company
    PproApp-Version: 1.0
    PproApp-Icon: MyApp_Icon.png

The last line has the needed attribute for your own icon. The JAR file containing a manifest.mf with this content (and also the icon file) could be installed just by opening the JAR file in N9500's file manager. You can also choose where the application icon comes visible.

One more thing: make sure that you have pressed enter in the end of the last line in your manifest. Otherwise the last line is ignored.

More information about Personal Profile applications can be found here:
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/java -> Documents -> Personal Profile Documents

Regards,
    Jarmo
    Forum Nokia