Discussion Board

Nokia 7650, J2ME and native call to C++ code

How can I develope native methods for J2ME with Nokia 7650? I would wrap Symbian OS apps into java code... It's possibile? tnx, Gino Micacchi

RE: Nokia 7650, J2ME and native call to C++ code

I have the same problem,but the API of J2ME on CLDC configuration,MIDP profile
    can't support native methods like JNI(java native interface) on J2SE, I think it is unconvenient to the application developers.anybody has solved it? any suggestion is appreciated.

A little idea: we can make a stub application in C++ to manage native function and access it via sockets from Java, using network loopback interface... What do you think about it?

Gino

Regular Contributor

Hello,

Native Method Interface (NMI) is not part of J2ME specifications. There is no direct way to call any native methods.

The problem with network 'workarounds' is that the phone is not exactly a TCP/IP device. It uses GSM data or GPRS to connect to a gateway at operator site, which translates the wireless data packets into IP messages and routes them to the destination over internet.

Regards,

Petteri / Forum Nokia

if 3650 supports MIDP 1.0 and both JNI and PushRegistry are not available, then how is it possible to come up with a working code for recieving of SMS?

3650 supports WMA which is MIDP 1.0 spec, so, it does it I cannot figure out why the heck 7650 doesn't support WMA.... And I hope it will be possible to upgrade my 7650 to MIDP 2.0 when Nokia will have it ready...

S.

yeah exactly, i was thinking if nokia could upgrade all series 60 phones with MIDP 2.0

but hey, have yo tried downloading one of the docs here in nokia? the doc name is "introduction to series 60 messaging application for java developers" there's a sample code for recieving SMS

so my question now is, it is possible to recieve SMS using 3650 without using PushRegistry?

and by the way, is there someone who's so kindly enough to explain in simple terms what's pushregistry for? and how important / not important is it for recieving sms, thanks so much in advance