Discussion Board

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Nokia Developer Expert

http Socket Client

I have downloaded the application "Series 60 Developer, Platform 2.0: HTTP Client Example" for Series 60 http client but the application doesnt workl well on the mobile phone. The application is able to make a session (RHTTPSession ) but does not display any content, it shows different errors everytime but most of the time the socket gets timed out (-33).
    I have tried to download simple pages also lile http://www.example.org but it doesnt show any content. The service providers GPRS is working fine with the mobiles WEB tool. I am using 7610 as the testing device. If anybody has encountered similar problem with this example code please guide me.

Nokia Developer Expert

Socket Client

The application works fine on the emulator SDK 2.1 but it does not work on SDK 2.0 emulator nor does it work on the device
    7610 for me .....can anybody tell me why is it so ?

Regular Contributor

Small Help

Hi tapanacharya,

I want a small clarification from u. i was working on SDK 2.0 and would u let me know how u are connecting to internet from emulator? Either by enabling NT RAS or by using Ethernet Plug-in? If it is Ethernet plug-in,can u tell me whether the HTTP Client example is working with this Ethernet plug-in on SDK 2.1?

I'm using the Ethernet plug-in working on Windows XP and connected to internet using a LAN but none of the Client Applications are working, when i run them they either give Error Code of -1 (Object Not Found) or -34(Not Connected).

Please suggest me what settings should i change and will be very thankful if u give me any information or links

Thanks in Advance,
    Sunil

Nokia Developer Expert

Emulator Config

I have configured the emulator on win 2000. If you have an XP installation that is NOT PERSONAL then you should not have any problem connecting to the network.

I have configure the Emulator for SDK 2.0 and SDK 2.1 both the procedure is as follows

SDK 2.0a
    a. Download a ETHERNET configuration tool from Forum Nokia or NewLC
    b. run it it will flicker the emulator a couple of times.
    c. Uncheck the Promiscode mode Tick.
    d. Put in your gateway, DNS IP .. (use ipconfig -all on cmd prompt)
    e. The IP that you assign to the emulator should not conflict with any IP on the Network.
    f. Click the Adapters button.
    g. read the text the black screen shows.
    h. choose the adapter that is connected to your gateway.

SDK 2.1
    Step a is not required since the tool is preinstalled ....rest all is same in that too

Nokia Developer Expert

Socket Client

"Series 60 Socket Client Example" Given on the forum nokia site does not work on SDK 2.0 ....I have been trying to run it from 2 days but it runs fine on sdk 2.1 but not sdk 2.0

Regular Contributor

Ethernet Plug-in

Thanks tapanacharya for ur information but i have followed the same steps as u specified except the Unchecking the promiscuous mode button.I have been using the plug-in with the network adapter in Promiscuous mode i.e,the button is selected.

Also,i have assigned an IP address which doesn't conflict with any of the IP in the netwrok.After changing the network settings,i started the emulator and in "SERVICES" typed a website address but i could see only a white screen and i thought that emulator is downloading the webpage and takes some time to show the webpage.

The only proof i got that the Ethernet-Plugin is working is that the IP address assigned to the emulator start giving reply when i ping that IP which earlier gave "Request Timed out" before entering the website address.

Are u able to see a webpage in your emulator? If so, how much time did it for u to see it? Let me know are there any other options where i can check whether the plugin is working or not?

Thanks in Advance for ur valuable suggestions,
    Sunil

Nokia Developer Expert

test url

try http://www.example.org .
    Use the Release version of the emulator. I have found out that the ethernet configuration works fine for the release version but not the debug one. USe the standard tool of nokia to connect to the page. If the Rotating G is moving to the top of the globe to rotate. It means the emulator is connecting. It will not take more than 20 seconds to load. Also i still recommend that you should uncheck the promiscous mode tick and try once (This suggestion might not work in your case if so ...sorry).
    Last edited by tapanacharya; 2004-11-30 at 06:39.

Regular Contributor

http example on phone

hello tapan

were u able to get the example running on 7610. I am facing the same problem. After having got it running on the emulator for SDK 2.1, it is creating a problem on the phone. My access point is correctly configured as I can browse on my cell using opera browser. with the http client, it asks for the access point, and then simply hangs. After a while either it pops up an error message (generally it is 5120) or the app simply closes.

Kind of don't know what to do.

Also could you please tell me from where u got the error codes i.e -34 is (Not Connected) and -1 is (Object Not Found).

waiting for a reply

cheers

Regular Contributor

Error Codes

Hi bullzi,I want to give u some information on these Error Codes.

For all the Error codes which we encounter while programming are explained in the website

http://newlc.com/article.php3?id_art...cherche=Errors

If by any reason you can't get the webpage,just inform me i will send u some pdf document i'm having now which contains the explaination for all kind of Error codes.

Enjoy..............

Regular Contributor
    phew!!
    error codes are useful.

the error i was getting was 5120 (dns error).
    and that was happening as i had not put the ip and port of the proxy server in the client application, as on the emulator i didn't need it.

well, thanx for the error codes. just for curiosity, if the pdfs u mentioned contain anything apart from that was on the link, i would definitely like to have a look at it. u may reach me at
    vlaugh2@yahoo.com

thanx

Nokia Developer Expert

problem in SDK 2.0 answered

I have recieved a mail from a source in ---forum nokia which is as follow: -

You should use Series 60 SDK 2.1 for both Series 60 2.0 and 2.1 devices.
    There were problems with connectivity in the older SDK. As long as you dontuse any of the new APIs introduced on 2.1 for an application that is to run
    on 2.0 devices, things should work fine.

so I am on my way to create a program based on SDK 2.0 API ....

Regular Contributor

Why is the app not running on the device?

Hello Bullzi,

Did u get ur application running on the device? If yes do let me know the changes nescessary for it.

My application run very well on the SDK but fails to resolve the dns while running on the actual device. (err -5120). if u've got it done on the device pls let me know the changes required.

Thanking in advance,

-- Gaurav.

Regular Contributor
    yes i finally got the app running on the device.

i think i can help u.
    please give the settings of the IAP u r using.

Regular Contributor
    Hi bullzi

BY IAP - did u meant the settings of the GPRS provider? i mean to say the ip of the proxy server and port which r provided by the mobile service provider to access the web. do u want that??

Regular Contributor
    yes. actually i wanted to know whether u r using a proxy server or not.
    1) if u don't require a proxy server (IP and port), then the code that u are running should work as it is. just try if u are able to browse thru opera or some other browser using the same access point u r using for ur http client.

2) however if u require a proxy server, then ur job just got slightly tougher. u need to modify the http client code a little. refer to

http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...lator+proxy%2A

the best way out is, in the clientengine class, in both get and put methods, u should put the following code (before u open the transaction)

//put ur proxy server and port here.
    TBuf8<20> aProxy8(_L8("<proxy addrort>"));
    RStringF prxAddr = iSession.StringPool().OpenFStringL(aProxy8);
    CleanupClosePushL(prxAddr);
    THTTPHdrVal prxUsage(iSession.StringPool().StringF(HTTP::EUseProxy,RHTTPSession::GetTable()));
    iSession.ConnectionInfo().SetPropertyL(iSession.StringPool().StringF(HTTP::EProxyUsage,RHTTPSession::GetTable()), prxUsage);
    iSession.ConnectionInfo().SetPropertyL(iSession.StringPool().StringF(HTTP::EProxyAddress,RHTTPSession::GetTable()), prxAddr);
    CleanupStack::PopAndDestroy(); // prxAddr

u need to build again.
    abld build thumb urel
    makesis exampleclient.pkg

transfer ur sis file.

however i would still say ask ur service provider to provide a setting that does not require a proxy server.

hope that helps