Discussion Board

Series 80 UI Help

Hi,

I want to create a window view for a series 80 phone. What classes should I use to achieve this?

I want to split the display area into two and from the Series 80 UI Styly Guide I found that I can achieve this from using the Window View. But nothing is mentioned about the classes to be used to achieve this. Can anyone help me out in this?

There are other view as well like the Snaking View for which I found what classes to use. But I didn't get any information for the Window view.

What I want to achieve is to split the display area in two halves and want list box view in both these halves. Any idea how to best achieve this?

Are there any sample applications available for different UIs in Series 80?

~ Amita.

Hi All,

Ok, I think I was not specific in what I actually wanted to ask. Let me put it into points what exactly I am looking for. I am a newbie to series 80. I have absolutely no idea about the Series 80 UIs.

I checked the UI Style doc provided with the series 80 SDK. There they have mentioned 3 types of layouts:
    - Listbox View
    - Snaking Listbox view
    - Window View

I want to develop an interface similar to the Window view. Here the application area of the communicator will be divided in two parts and I can have controls in these two parts. (I hope I am right here, please correct me if I am wrong.)

In my application, that will implement this window layout, There will be some list of items in the left part. Clicking on any item from that should show another list of items on the right side part. Something like displaying categories and sub categories. Main category list will be in the left part. When I select a category, I want all the sub categories under that to get listed on the right part.

Is this achievable? If yes,
    - How?
    - What classes will help me?
    - Are there any similar example applications available?

If not, is there any other alternative of how best I can display such detail.

Another thing:
    - Can anyone give pointers about how to implement the heirarchical view?
    - Are there any example applications available anywhere for Series 80 UI?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Amita.

Nokia Developer Expert
    Hello,

There could be some other approach, but here is one quite typical case. This is not only S80, but common way to implement 'window' view.

You should have a container, this is typically declared as:
    class CYourAppView
    : public CCoeControl

This can be found from very many examples. Inside CYourView you should implement two controls to a member. These controls will be your windows. To get all this work there se need to implement CountComponentControls and ComponentControl methods (search for more info) and there you return pointers to member controls.

Derive these two controls from CCknBorderedControl, this gives a 'window' look and feel. This way you get two empty windows. There is also ned to call SetContainerWindowL method.

Next step is to add some 'functionality' to these two windows, easy task to implement CountComponentControls and ComponentControl methods again and add some readymade control there (e.g. some list control).

Hope this helps you to the corrects track. Use SDK help and search to get more detailed information.

Ui style guide is not the best doc to find solution how to implement, it just gives an idea how it should look and feel on the S80.

Br V

P.S keywords to be search
    - Simple controls and compound controls
    - How to write compound controls
    - TCknBorder::TCknBorderType
    - TCknBorderType
    - EPopoutWindow

Hi Veskola,

Thanks for the pointers. I will try to out these and will come back here again if that does not work

~ Amita.

Re: Series 80 UI Help

Quote Originally Posted by amitapm
    Hi All,

Ok, I think I was not specific in what I actually wanted to ask. Let me put it into points what exactly I am looking for. I am a newbie to series 80. I have absolutely no idea about the Series 80 UIs.

I checked the UI Style doc provided with the series 80 SDK. There they have mentioned 3 types of layouts:
    - Listbox View
    - Snaking Listbox view
    - Window View

I want to develop an interface similar to the Window view. Here the application area of the communicator will be divided in two parts and I can have controls in these two parts. (I hope I am right here, please correct me if I am wrong.)

In my application, that will implement this window layout, There will be some list of items in the left part. Clicking on any item from that should show another list of items on the right side part. Something like displaying categories and sub categories. Main category list will be in the left part. When I select a category, I want all the sub categories under that to get listed on the right part.

Is this achievable? If yes,
    - How?
    - What classes will help me?
    - Are there any similar example applications available?

If not, is there any other alternative of how best I can display such detail.

Another thing:
    - Can anyone give pointers about how to implement the heirarchical view?
    - Are there any example applications available anywhere for Series 80 UI?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Amita.
    Hi

I also has the same sort of issue.
    I am biginner to UI part in symbian. I want to create two list boxes on single screen. Is it possible to implement it on series 60 3rd edition? Is there any sample example like that? anyboby implemented the same, Please can u help me, where can I get good document regarding the same.

Thanks in advance,
    Priya.