Discussion Board

Series 60 SDK for Symbian OS & wXP

I've installed it under windows XP prof with Visual Studio 6, and when I try the application wizard I always end up receiving the message "Workspace open failed", or something similar. Is there any possible way I can make it work in WinXP ??? Maybe a patch or something?

Thanks

Nokia Developer Expert

RE: Series 60 SDK for Symbian OS & wXP

Hi,

Unfortunately, the Series 60 SDK and the Nokia 9200 Communicator Series SDK at current releases do not support Windows XP. Windows NT is the official working environment for the SDKs, but they can also run on Win98 and Win2000.

Regards,
    FN Developer Support

I have installed the SDK under Windows XP, and have been able to compile and run the hello world example testing it both in the emulator and release on the 7650.
    there are a few problems running the SDK though:
    * Sisar returns a java runtime error when starting a new project
    * The appwizard returns a workspace not found error in VC++6

Although, (i might be wrong) it seems like all you need is a started project (ie hello world) and build your application from there, since the compiling and emulation works fine.

I had the same problem. In order to create a loadable workspace file I did the following:

1. Go to the group folder in your project from the command line
    2. Enter the command: bldmake bldfiles
    3. If succesful, enter the command: abld makefile vc6
    4. Now you should be able to reload you project in Visual Studio

Regards Bjoern

Regular Contributor

Please note, that due to that EPOCROOT environment variable not contain the partition, where were the SDK installed, it is important in Symbian development - independently of the type of OS host for the development environment(Microsoft Windows NT, Windows 2000, etc.) or which of the Platforms(Series 60, Communicator SDK) is in use - that your EPOCROOT and your project directory should be the same partition(c:, d:, etc.)! Otherwise perl scrips, neither makmake or the others might not work correctly.

Best Regards,
    (V) - Forum Nokia Developer Support

Please Note, that windows NT mentioned at download page as a requirement. There is more information in this discussion board when search for "Symbian Development on Windows XP platform".

Nokia Developer Expert

Hello,

I found out by testing that the wizard functions well if I set the name of the project so that it has 8 or less characters in it. My environment is w2k sp3, so I'm not sure if this works for WinXP.

BR, Mika