Discussion Board

Headset Ergonomics and "Coolness" over performance -- Who can I talk to about this?

I recently got a 6230 phone, and have been looking for a headset for it.

The problem is, with my big ears, and living in a windy city (San Francisco), I *really* need a headset that has:

1) A long-boom, noise-cancelling mic that reaches to in front of my mouth, attached to a securing armature that really CLAMPS to my ear (or is an over-the-head style), and

2) An earpiece that projects INSIDE my ear

There exist such headsets, but almost all of them use the standard 2.5mm headset jack. There is no 14-pin pop-port style headset that fits this description.

Also, the current trend in Bluetooth headsets seems to be "as tiny as possible, with no boom, or if there is one, very, very short". Sure, they look stylish, but voice quality is usually awful, and they usually hang off my ear and I have to manually hold it pressed against my ear to get good sound quality.

What IS it about designers these days that they can't seem to make what I'm looking for? Ideally, it'd be a bluetooth headset with the specs I described, but that seems to be pure fantasy given the emphasis on "coolness" over actual functionality. What have designers got against long-boom mics for good voice pickup in noisy environments?

More yet, what has *Nokia* got against making a full set of headsets that have the 14-pin pop-port connector? I don't want to use an adapter, and the one I *did* try didn't end up working properly (using the headset made the phone think I was pressing the "disconnect" button).

Hey Nokia! What is going on in your design departments?!?

Anyone have any idea how I could talk to a Nokia person about their design decisions? I just can't understand why coolness seems to be more important than getting as good voice and hearing quality as I could if I just used the phone without a headset.

- Tim Bessie

Anyone have any ideas about this?

Seems like it'd be an issue for more than just myself.

Or perhaps there is a better forum here to post this question?

- Tim