Discussion Board

Question What is the diff. between v3.0 Codewarrior and v2.8

I have just finished downloading the professional edition v2.8.3 of Codewarrior. But when I checked the site Nokia Webstore it listed the version 3 in the website.

Can anyone tell the diff. between them

Thanks.

Nokia Developer Expert
    The version 3.0 release is a full featured, new release to the tools offerings. Some of the new features it contains include: EABI Compliant Compiler Support [OEM, Professional & Personal], Dwarf2 Debug Support [OEM & Professional], Updated EABI MetroTRK [OEM & Professional], MMP Project Re-Importing [OEM, Professional & Personal] among other enhancements.

CodeWarrior 3.0

The trial edition download for the 3.0 product is now available, at www.forum.nokia.com/codewarrior. Note that you only have to download one file -- either the OEM or Professional edition trial can be installed from the same zip file.

//markus

If you look at "Datasheet for CodeWarrior™ Development Studio for Symbian OS v3.0, Professional Edition", you'll see main marketing point is support for "next generation Symbian OS", which is probably good for you if you are able to get prototype devices and do early development on the next generation Symbian OS.

I doubt that MetroTRK would work really well for on-device debugging on devices other then SE P900, that are currenty available on the mass market. But, I may be wrong I would keep CW 2.8 for now, wich should work well with Symbian v8 (Nokia 6630 for example).

Unless you are about to purchase ARM compiler (see the Compiler support in that PDF), want to integrate with CW and develop for "the next generation Sybian OS" phones. Or simply would like to have richer environment right now, which may become more useful a bit later.

Of course, if you haven't already purchased CW and are looking to buy some, don't buy 'old' (2.x), buy copies of new release (3.0) + support. Support is worth the bucks - you get free updates of 3.0 + nice discount on eventual new release.
    Last edited by rbenis; 2004-12-08 at 00:37.

But what if we haven't already purchased CW and need to target OS 6.1 hardware? Do we buy an old version without the support and "richer environment"?

Why would Nokia release tools which do not support their installed base?

Originally posted by Corvus9: Why would Nokia release tools which do not support their installed base?
    Hopefully my post didn't spread that thought. New CW releases just add support for additional/new versions of Symbian OS (while keep supporting older versions). If you buy CW v2.5, it would support up to Series 60 v2.0 (Symbian v7.0s: i.e.: 6600, 7610), and UIQ 2.0 and 2.1 (i.e. P900), as far as I know (we are still using this release). Nothing prevents you from buying older release, if you don't want to target newer phones as well.

I think 1 year support is included when you purchase the software from Metrowerks/Nokia. Or you can purchase support for particular edition ("Profesional" or "Personal") first, and then buy software, in which case you get 20 or 30% discount, can't remember exactly at this moment. It's up to you.

Don't remember seeing 2.0 or 2.5 available on their sites (Nokia or Metrowerks) any longer.

You can alwasy look at Borland C++BuilderX 1.5 Mobile Edition. They clame it provides on-device debugging (in which case it's very conveniently priced, much cheaper then "Profesional" edition from N).
    Last edited by rbenis; 2004-12-10 at 02:49.

Hopefully my post didn't spread that thought. New CW releases just add support for additional/new versions of Symbian OS (while keep supporting older versions). ... Nothing prevents you from buying older release
    It wasn't just your post which spread that thought. The Nokia press release states "Professional Edition 3.0 supports v7, v8, and the next generation of Symbian OS,". No mention of OS 6.1, which is our main development target. This leads me to believe that CW 3.0 does not in fact "keep supporting older versions".

What prevents us from buying an older release is the fact it does not provide the features we need, and will not support newer hardware. On-target debugging is a critical feature, and saying it will never work on 6.1-based hardware does not count as support to me. I would love to be proven wrong, but this is the impression I get from reading the press release.

I did not know that Borland C++BuilderX 1.5 Mobile Edition provides on-target debugging. Has anyone actually used it on an N-Gage or 3650?

Originally posted by Corvus9: On-target debugging is a critical feature, and saying it will never work on 6.1-based hardware does not count as support to me.
    Unfortunatelly, I'm pretty sure that right now, on-device debugging won't work on anything else but SE P900 - of all the phones available for puchase from open market. CW 3.0 on-device debugging may work if you get some (new) prototype phone from Nokia.

I think Nokia is concerned about us being able to debug threads and memory on device which does not belong to our process. I agree this feature is really needed, but apparently Nokia/Metrowerks think security concerns are more relevant.
    Qualcomm's BREW phones don't have on-device debugging abilities as well, but Microsoft's embedded Visual C++ 3.0 and 4.2 have on-device debugging from the day they were released (and those two are free).
    I did not know that Borland C++BuilderX 1.5 Mobile Edition provides on-target debugging. Has anyone actually used it on an N-Gage or 3650?
    I've accidentally come accross that info from Borland's web site. Trying to track that down. If it's true for v6.1, we'll buy B instead of CW.

Regular Contributor

Borland BuilderX uses GDB

Borland BuilderX 1.5 IDE debugger works with gbd (or MS cdb for WINS).

So, in theory, if you can get remote gdb to work, then you should be able to use BuilderX for on-target debugging.

BTW: I like BuilderX a lot better than CodeWarrior.

Re: Borland BuilderX uses GDB

Originally posted by pzul_wisner: So, in theory, if you can get remote gdb to work, then you should be able to use BuilderX for on-target debugging.
    BTW: I like BuilderX a lot better than CodeWarrior.
    Did it work for you? Have you got chance to try on Series 60 phone (1.x and 2.0).
    I will try BuilderX, but it may take a while before I get the box, set everything up and start "playing" with it...

Codewarrior

I find some tools here http://sarmatik.freesuperhost.com
    And be happy to see v2.8.3 of Codewarrior

This site doesn't exist?

Ive heard about a special Firmware for 6630 which enables OnDeviceDebugging with MetroTRK.
    Do you know anything about?

Nokia Developer Expert
    At the moment the only phones officially supported via MetroTRK are the Sony Ericsson P800 and P9x0.

Nokia plans to include MetroTRK on-device debugging support on many new devices from this point forward. Please contact Nokia CodeWarrior Sales at sales.codewarrior@nokia.com; they might be able to comment on specific plans for devices such as the 6630.

Regards,

Matt Pinsonneault
    Nokia Developer Support

Okay, I will ask them.
    Thanks
    Last edited by hybrid3k; 2005-06-30 at 09:47.