Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

binary setting list item - urgent

Hi,
    would any one give me a simple example about how to create a single binary setting item?
    -where should I construct it (in the Container or the View),
    -and how to store and retrieve the selected value so that the next time the user open the application he should see his previous selection (should I store the value in a text file then read it again next time)?
    -if yes, how do I get and set the value of the selected binary item is it using LoadL() and StoreL()?
    -I read the setting list example in the sdk but I think that it is confusing, I only have one setting item so is it necessary to create a new class derived from CAknSettingItemList and implement CreateSettingItemL()?

I tryed to create the setting item using the help of the sdk example but it gives me this linking error: "CSM4SETTINGVIEW.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: virtual class CAknSettingItem * __thiscall CCSM4SettingListbox::CreateSettingItemL(int)" (?CreateSettingItemL@CCSM4SettingListbox@@UAEPAVCAknSettingItem@@H@Z)"

I also read the documentation "Series 60 Developer Platform: Avkon UI Resources – Setting List" but it doesn't give information about how to deal with items after constructing them!

I am sorry for these lots of simple question, but I don't have a lot of experiance in developing such applications and I would be happy if some one replay to me soon ;)

Regards,
    murmur

Nokia Developer Moderator
    you should really construct new class for it. Easiet to do it is to copy it from the exampe and just scale it down.

The "unresolved external symbol " means that the implementation of the class is not found. So check SDK docs for the library that is needed with the class, add it to your mmp file and re-build the work space, then it should disappear.

yucca

Regular Contributor
    Thanks for your replay symbianyucca... The "unresolved external symbol" was because I forgot to add the cpp source file to mmp ;).
    But what about storing the values of the setting list, how do I get it and store it? the example doesn't show that.

Regards
    murmur

Nokia Developer Moderator
    I usually use dictionary stores to store the settings values, have found them easiest to use. I also have answered quite many times of how to use them. So you could first look it up from SDK help, and them maybe do some searching on this forum.

yucca