Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Unhappy Error : Too many include paths! Please reduce the number of include paths or ....

Hello!

I have just installed CodeWarrior 2.8 without any problems (followed the quick guide). When I try to build the "HelloWorld" app. I get the following errors,

Error : Too many include paths! Please reduce the number of include paths or use non-recursive paths

Error : Adapter initialization failed

Error : Too many include paths! Please reduce the number of include paths or use non-recursive paths

Error : Unable to load include paths

Error : Compile failed

Any ideas to solve this problem?

Regards,

Niels

Nokia Developer Expert
    Hello,

This is known bug of codewarrior and is caused by recursive access path settings in target settings.

You can get rid of the message if you remove the recursion symbol from the access paths definition.

Br V

What do you call a "he recursion symbol from the access paths definition" ?

I have the same issue with my CW installation but:
    - compiling for S60 platform works well for any target.
    - compiling for UIQ only works for ARMI target and not for WINSCW.

I have already reinstalled the UIQ SDK but this does not solve anything.
    I don't see any recursive stuff in my access path:
    - {MMPDir}..\INC
    - {EPOCROOT}epoc32\include
    - {EPOCROOT}epoc32\winscw\udeb
    - {MMPDIR}..\src
    - {EPOCROOT}epoc32\BUILD\SYMBIAN\PROJECTS\MYPROJECT...

What I specifically can't explain is why I only get this for WINSCW target and UIQ SDK......

Thanks for any help
    Eric

Nokia Developer Expert
    Hi,

- Open CW IDE
    - Go to Target settings panels
    - select target from three control
    - select access paths
    - remove recursion symbol (click it with mouse, if i remember correctly)

Sorry, i'm not able to post picture capture about this issue, probably it would help this...and yes this is problem of IDE within some cases, and therefore depends of SDK.

Br V

Ok, that's the small "folder" icon.

I do not have any in my case.... I assume this is more generally a problem with my global PATH.....

Nokia Developer Expert
    when the total include paths length is > 32KB this error will be posted becuase a Win32 process cannot exectue anything over this size (or it will post an OS err 87, which is of much less help). If you are seeing this with one SDK but not another it could be that either you have recursion enabled in the Access Paths target preference panel (yes, the little folder icon next to the path - check both your system and user paths) or you are importing your project into the epoc32\build directory. The latter can create extremely long paths to begin with becuase the project itself is far in the bowls of the SDKs build folder. So for the latter scenario try to import your project without using the option to put your project files in the \build directory.

Cheers,
    Tim

Re: Error : Too many include paths! Please reduce the number of include paths or ....

I'm stunned.

We're now three years after this thread was started, I've just installed the latest CodeWarrior Development Studio for Symbian (v3.1), and wanted to compile my first program - the sample "Hello World" app that ships with UIQ 2.1, and this bug is still here.

Are Metrowerks happy that a developer's first impression of programming for these devices is spent trying to get around their own bugs trying to compile a pre-written "Hello World" example..?

Unbelievable.

I can't wait 'til the CodeWarrior environment is actually... finished.

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Error : Too many include paths! Please reduce the number of include paths or ....

CW gets it project settings from SDK scripts. You can probably find the offending XML element and change it's recursive value to false (in epoc32\tools\cw_project_template_v2.xml)

<SETTING>
    <NAME>Recursive</NAME>
    <VALUE>false</VALUE>
    </SETTING>
    - <SETTING>

In CW 3.1, you should be able to import this script directly (using File > Manage Symbian Project Template > Import... Then modify the target setting you want and export that template (using same command, but Export.). Then when you Import your project you can use alternate defatult template values. See Targeting Symbian docs for more info.

Cheers,
    Tim

Re: Error : Too many include paths! Please reduce the number of include paths or ..

Edit - Problem solved, thanks to eric over at newlc. I only checked the user access paths, and didn't check the system access paths. that one was still set to recursion.

I just installed the UIQ 2.1 SDK for CodeWarrior, and I am having this same problem. I checked the access paths, and made sure the recursion icon (the folder icon) was not there. I tried editing the cw_project_template_v2.xml and replacing any recursion true with recursion false. i am still having the same issue.

I am using codewarrior 3.1, and a coworker suggested trying an old 2.5 cd we had, which is working fine, but i prefer the 3.1 environment, and would much rather have it working (not to mention the 2.5 is only a 15 day demo).

anyone have any other suggestion or know how i can get this SDK working under CodeWarrior 3.1?
    Last edited by ckasek; 2006-02-07 at 14:02. Reason: Problem Solved.