Discussion Board

7610 lacks "megapixel" Java Mobile Media API

It seems that the megapixel camera 7610 does not offer a "megapixel" image capture API. The Java Mobile Media API cleary defines video capture functionality but is it so that the 7610 does not implement it correctly.

Try to say something like this in your Java MIDlet::

<..details missing...>
    String captureString = "encoding=jpeg&width=352&height=288";
    byte[] imageData = this.videoControl.getSnapshot(captureString);
    <..details missing..>

The resulting image is a scaled and stretched blurry image where the original size before scaling is around 172x144. If you try to use the full image size of 7610 the image is total junk.

Where is the Java API to get the "mega-pixel" image with 7610?? Or is this C++ reserved stuff?

Cheers,
    Jari Ojala

Regular Contributor

limited by heap size

Hi apparently it's limited by the heap size. and apparently the heap on the 7610 in java just isn't big enough, which to me makes no sense but ...

anyway, I'm presently trying to get even just a good quality 640 x 480 image on the 6630, which should theoretically be much more capable than the 7610.

-- simon

Regular Contributor

7610 image quality

I too am working with MMAPI on 7610 - I find I can capture images up to 1152 x 864 on the 7610 - the image quality is however poor when compared to other applications I have written using c++. The paradox is that why should I bother trying to write an app using J2ME when the results are so poor. Has anyone had any other results for image capture on non Nokia phones ( ie ones where you can only program in Java ) ?

Regular Contributor
    Well, the situation is all over the place AFAIK. Nokia's series 60 phones are probably the best but ironically the one place you don't really need it at all. With J2ME, nokia only just released their three new phones (6280 etc) which finally have camera support, I don't know what resolution though.

With Sony Ericsson, they only reliably support 160x120, and that seems to be generally true elsewhere where you have camera access.

Pretty pitiful IMO.

--simon

Super Contributor
    This is the completely unconfirmed "conspiracy theory":
    If you could get good quality snapshots with these phones you could easily make an application to send these photos to other phones, and thus make a (usually) much cheaper version of MMS. The operators and manufacturers have invested a lot in infrastructure to support MMS messaging, so the Java phones limit the quality of the snapshots.

shmoove

Regular Contributor
    Yeah, I've heard that and it's probably one of the factors involved.

However, there are other reasons too... In, say, last year's (non-smart-)phones, there is a limited heap memory available and laziness or delays of implementation could have delayed putting in a memory-efficient implementation of accessing larger images.

On today's phones there isn't much excuse though.

Does anyone know if the Series 40 DP 3rd supports resolutions above 160x120?

--simon