Discussion Board

Thread: EMS Formatting

Question EMS Formatting

Well I was wondering if some one could hook me up with a link to any document that would provide me with the EMS message format. What I really need to know is how to divide a long SMS into many parts, and how to recognize a multipart SMS.

The reason behind this is I work with a content providing company that wants to make an email system over SMS. The version the team is developing now can handle single SMS. But when it comes to multipart SMS it fails because of the first 6 bytes.

Let me tell you that we do not have access to SMSC, the peoples at the Operator END has a program which they refer to as 'Transport Agent', captures incoming SMS from a SHORT CODE via (SMPP I guess) and then they dump it in to our DATABASE. So the DATABASE gets the raw binary SMS (?? There is no point in that though, it’s like that just to handle the NULL), we convert it to ASCII then work on it.

I have noticed that the First 6 bytes are something like this when the SMS is multipart:

Byte 1: 0x05
    Byte 2: 0x00
    Byte 3: 0x03
    Byte 4: This change, don’t know why!
    Byte 5: Total Number of Parts
    Byte 6: Current part number

That’s my observation could you guys please help me out on this?

Nokia Developer Expert
    I don't have much knowledge about EMS, but there are examples of concatenated Smart messages at Smart Messaging FAQ. You could find those useful atleast the header part of the messages, question 18:
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/html_read...7,2452,00.html

Thank you

Thank you for your reply..

I have gone through the document, it was very helpful. But, there did reffer to some others document, saying 'For a full example, please see Section 8'.

Which section were reffering?

Thank you again and I would love it if you could help me here too.

Nokia Developer Expert
    It was only referring to question 8 at the same Smart Messaging FAQ which has a full example of a message with user data header. Even though that message doesn't have concatenation in the header but another type of header. Concatenation is used in other examples: 14, 16, 17... Those examples just show the user data part of the message.
    Br,
    M Forum Nokia Developer Support