Discussion Board

Has anybody been successful in making a MP3 player??

Hallo All,
    I've plan to make a MP3 player for my phone(nokia n-gage and 3650), but I don't know where I should start. I use symbian SDK v1.2 and Visual C++ 6, but I don't know if there is a MP3 library/decoder/codec embedded, can I download one, or should I write one (port one, rather). Or is there any open-sourced MP3 library/decoder/codec available, so I can use them to my needs. Do you has any ideas, i would be glad to hear them, I'm quite clueless as I'm new in symbian development.
    Please, if you have any ideas worth sharing. I'm sorry if my English is not good.

Thanks

Nokia Developer Moderator
    you could google oggplay project. It basically plays ogg files, but it has been said that ogg sounds better than mp3 anyway.

yucca

Check out the MAD MP3 decoder. It is entirely fixed-point based. You will have to port it though. You can also try MPEG-Tech for a lot of information on the format (and quite a bit of source as well).

On a side note, I agree with symbianyucca ... OGG is a better format (and a lot more free too!) ;-)

Has anybody been successful in porting MAD to symbian series 60??

--------------------------------- hoopsman wrote : ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Check out the MAD MP3 decoder. It is entirely fixed-point based. You will have to port it though. You can also try MPEG-Tech for a lot of information on the format (and quite a bit of source as well).
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I already try to porting MAD, but never succeed
    Has anybody been successful in porting MAD to symbian series 60??
    Please, if you have any ideas worth sharing...

Thanks