Discussion Board

memory problem regarding creating jar files

Hello Develpers,
    I am a j2me developer and i want to ask u to help me out in a problem. The problem actually is:

I am creating a jar with the code only there is no problem and the memory is say 40KB.
    I am creating a jar witht the images there is no problem and the memory is say 15 KB
    when i combine the images and the jar together the jar file should be 60Kb but it shows extra 8 Kb to the jar file. Note that I am using gif's, png's and jpeg's format

Please I'll appreciate ur attention

regards
    Abdul Latif Gaziani

Super Contributor
    Well, jar files also have a catalogue of the files and directories in them, so if you have many of them each will add some overhead to the total. *KB sounds like a bit much, though.

Things you can do:
    * Obfuscate the code to make it smaller.
    * Put everything in the root directory.
    * Combine several images into one file (you save twice, once for the jar's catalogue overhead, and once for the image header's overhead).
    * Use png optimizers and such software that strips out unnecessary parts of the images to make them smaller.
    * Merge class files into one class that combines the functionality.

shmoove

Plz help out in converting images to one file

Dear shmoove,
    Thanx for paying attention to my problem. Plz help us in extracting images from a single file as i havent done that thing before. If u have some code snippet or some script regarding that plz help me by that. I'll really appreciate your help.

regards
    gaziani

Super Contributor