Discussion Board

playing avi in java game

hi.i'm new to developing games and would really appreciate beinig pointed in the right direction.i'm writing a mobile phone game that must play avis-r some video format. can i use j2me for this?am i going about it the wrong way?
    please help.
    AnneMarie

Super Contributor
    You would need a device that supports MMAPI (Multimedia API), and I doubt avis are widely supported, but you can always convert to a more appropiate format.

shmoove

thanks for that. what format would u recommend or way of going about this?an animator is giving me clips for a game and i have to program it.any way of streaming pictures in a format widely supported?really appreciate the help-been unable to get much.Thanks!

Super Contributor
    I can't say I have too much experience, but from browsing this and other forums, the 3gp and mpg formats seem to be the most common.
    Maybe someone else with more experience can shed some more light on the subject.

shmoove

Re: playing avi in java game

can i play vide mpg on n80? I developed player but i cant play video .mpg. Can u help me pls?

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: playing avi in java game

See this table for N80 (S60 3rd Edition) supported video (and audio) formats:
    http://forum.nokia.com/video