Discussion Board

Python for series 80?

Hi. I've been wondering if there are plans to release a version of python for the 9500 communicator (series 80)?
    Or if there was a way of jury-rigging the series 60 implementation?

Regular Contributor
    There definitely hasn't been anything announced about Python support on Series 80.

As for jury-rigging, the biggest hurdle will be that Series 60 and Series 80 use different windowing API's, so the GUI stuff will need to be modified. However, since both are based on the same OS (Symbian), there should be a lot of reuse.

If/When the source code becomes available, something like this should be easier to do.

I doubt they will release the source. Python is a kind of pseudo open source project. The liscence does not (as i understand it) preclude distributing your own proprietry version.

I should state for the record, that if there is one in the works, then i would like to be a beta tester. If there is a petition somewhere to make ths port happen, then i'll sign it. I'm certain i am not the only one who wants to have a scripting language for a device that a PDA and a phone.

I myself would like to use it to try and mitigate the problems with sycnronisation between it and anything that is not windows.

Originally posted by gotan
    I should state for the record, that if there is one in the works, then i would like to be a beta tester. If there is a petition somewhere to make ths port happen, then i'll sign it. I'm certain i am not the only one who wants to have a scripting language for a device that a PDA and a phone.
    That goes for me too.

If Nokia favors Python over Java, they should at least make Python available on all their products. To me it would make all the difference in purchasing a new PDA. I do like the 9500 very much, but only the iPAQ seems to have python running.

Will python become available (when) or can the series 60 version be used on the series 80 as well?

I was hoping that someone from the nokia python team, actualy read these forums, and would be able to give me a more definitive answer.

Regular Contributor
    Originally posted by gotan
    I was hoping that someone from the nokia python team, actualy read these forums, and would be able to give me a more definitive answer.
    We are reading the forum. There just hasn't been anything announced about bringing Python to Series 80 (and if the team was working on it, there would probably have been an announcement.) For now, the focus is on expanding the capabilitiies of the language on the Series 60 Platform.

A resounding AOL-like "me too"

I'd be strongly interested in a python port to series 80 as well.

How about for series 40?

Would that idea be dead in the water?

I'd like to get Python working on my simple nokia 6015i