Discussion Board

Thread: Speech recoder

Speech recoder

Hello Friends,

I am trying to write an application that records sound as wave or mp3 using a mobile phone and then transfers the sound through an IP connection to a server for further processing. Are these 2 requirements - 1. Recording sound using a mobile phone and 2. transfering sound through an IP connection to a server possible?

Can anyone be kind to tell me which Nokia mobile phones can do both of these as I would like to buy one and try writing applications that do this?

Please do reply.
    Thanks for the help
    Warm Regards
    Sam

Hello,

You should better look for audio capture in the AMR format, eventually transcoding it to MP3 on the PC's side, because MP3 is not part of the standard 3GPP formats.
    I think there are quite a lot of posts on this forum as regarding to terminals supporting audio capture through the MMAPI.

If you're looking for a production application, you should consider using HTTP connection to a web server with a server-side script (PHP, CGI, etc.) to retrieve the data, rather than TCP-level connection which might be limited by the carrier.
    Also expect some limitations on the amount of data sent through a single HTTP request.

Have fun !

Manu