Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

support for multiple types of DRM?

As I understand it OMA DRM consists of 3 methods: Forward Lock, Combined Delivery and Separate Delivery.

Are these 3 methods mutually exclusive? Would a manufacturer support only one of these per device or is there a reason to implement more than one method in the same device?

Do other potential mobile DRM technologies, like mpeg 21, use a similar approach to the OMA's FL, CD and SD methods?

Maybe this file is available to you .

If you want to know more details about 3 methods of DRM. Please link this file :
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/1,65...l&fileID=5032.

Regular Contributor
    thanks for the reply, however the document you recommend seems specific to midlets.

My question is very general. I am trying to understand whether or not it is likely that an OEM will employ different methods of DRM in a device for different download media, or if instead it is most likely that an OEM will implement one method of DRM for a device.

perhaps an example will sufice.

Is is likely that a device will support both Forward Lock and Separate Delivery for managing rights to ringtone content downloaded to a phone?

So for example, some ringtone files downloaded to the device are locked to the device with Forward Lock, and others can be redistributed because they have Separate Delivery DRM. In this case a phone would allow ringtone downloads with different types of DRM.

Is this a likely situation, or is it more likely that an OEM will build devices that only support one of the 3 methods? So in the example above, the phone would only support forward lock and not both forward lock and separate delivery.

Which of these implementations is most likely?

The three OMA DRM types you refer to are like layers of an onion. If separate delivery is supported, then combined delivery is supported; if combined delivery is supported then forward lock is supported.

The best indication I've found of which DRM types are supported on which devices is to look for the drm content types in the "Browser MIME Types In Nokia GSM Devices v1.4".

According to this document, all S40 Platform 2 devices support all three types, all S60 Platform 2 support forward lock, and a few S60 Platform 2 support all three types.

To Hp3,
    I think the first implementations is most likely .Because download Forward Lock files without right and we can operate it no limit . But Separate Delivery lock require downloading correct the right file to operate it . So I think they are not mutually exclusive.

Regular Contributor
    thanks very much for all the replies so far.

Jozart,

you wrote:
    -----
    The three OMA DRM types you refer to are like layers of an onion. If separate delivery is supported, then combined delivery is supported; if combined delivery is supported then forward lock is supported.
    -----
    can you recommend a document which clearly explains this sort of lateral compatibility?

I've read a number of documents about OMA from various sources online, though I've never seen anything which explains it this way.

Note, that I am not challenging your knowledge. I just need a resource to back up this information for a research project I am working on.

Super Contributor

can you recommend a document which clearly explains this sort of lateral compatibility?

I've read a number of documents about OMA from various sources online, though I've never seen anything which explains it this way.

Note, that I am not challenging your knowledge. I just need a resource to back up this information for a research project I am working on.
    Maybe you should've read those more carefully... :-)

In the "OMA-Download-DRM-V1_0-20040615-A" -document, available from OMA, this is explained in chapter 5. Quote from the spec:

Forward-lock
    "The device MUST support the “forward-lock” method defined in this chapter."

Combined delivery
    "The device MAY support the “combined delivery” method defined in this chapter. If the device supports the “combined
    delivery” method it MUST also support the “forward-lock” method."

Combined delivery
    "The device MAY support the “separate delivery” method and superdistribution defined in this chapter. If the device supports
    the “separate delivery” method it MUST also support the “combined delivery” and “forward-lock” methods."

In Nokia devices there's two implementations available for this at the moment, only forward-lock of full OMA DRM v1.0.

Best regards,
    V / Forum Nokia

DRM Separate Delivery devices

in the devices spec, some device "are" DRm v.1 Forward Lock, some others are listed as DRM v.1, without infos abourt CD or SD

Can we say that all the devices listed with DRM v.1 support
    full DRM v1?
    In other words, Do these devices support Separate Delivery ?

if not, How can we find the SD or CD among all the devices listed as DRMv.1?

Thank you

Super Contributor

Re: DRM Separate Delivery devices

Originally posted by kitmusica
    in the devices spec, some device "are" DRm v.1 Forward Lock, some others are listed as DRM v.1, without infos abourt CD or SD

Can we say that all the devices listed with DRM v.1 support
    full DRM v1?
    In other words, Do these devices support Separate Delivery ?

if not, How can we find the SD or CD among all the devices listed as DRMv.1?

Thank you
    In Nokia devices there's only two different implementations of OMA DRM, forward-lock or full OMA DRM v1.0. And full means that all three methods are supported. So, there's no Nokia device which has combined delivery, but no separate delivery.

Best regards,
    V / Forum Nokia

Hi enstedt

Thank you for answer, you wrote :

"In Nokia devices there's only two different implementations of OMA DRM, forward-lock or full OMA DRM v1.0. And full means that all three methods are supported. So, there's no Nokia device which has combined delivery, but no separate delivery."

I know that the DRM method are backward compatible . If a phone supports SD, it supports CD and FL.

Howewer, in the device spec on forum nokia, it's mentionned that some of the phones support OMA DRM v1.0.
    Are these phones support full OMA DRM v1.0. ?

in other word, As the DRM method ar backward compatible ,
    a phone which supports full OMA DRM v1.0, would be SD.

is this correct?

Thank you

Super Contributor
    Originally posted by kitmusica
    Hi enstedt

I know that the DRM method are backward compatible . If a phone supports SD, it supports CD and FL.

Howewer, in the device spec on forum nokia, it's mentionned that some of the phones support OMA DRM v1.0.
    Are these phones support full OMA DRM v1.0. ?

in other word, As the DRM method ar backward compatible ,
    a phone which supports full OMA DRM v1.0, would be SD.

is this correct?

Thank you
    As i said, Nokia phones supporting OMA DRM v1.0 has support for all three delivery methods. If the phone supports only forward-lock, it's stated OMA DRM forward-lock.

Best regards,
    V / Forum Nokia