Discussion Board

Question Accessing the SMS store

Hi there,

does anybody know where Nokia (3650) stores the SMS?
    I'd like to read such messages - I guess there are not "objects" I can already use for this operation.
    Are those messages stored in a Symbian database or is it a structured file? How can I locate it?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
    Matteo

Regular Contributor
    The proper method would be to use a Python module that talks to the Messaging Service; However, since that's not available yet, you'll probably have to hack something together by scanning the files in "c:\system\Mail\".

You might want to use something like FExplorer <http://www.gosymbian.com/> to help explore the file system if you don't have a good file browser yet.

Cheers!

Originally posted by eriksmartt
    The proper method would be to use a Python module that talks to the Messaging Service; However, since that's not available yet,
    Thank you for the suggestion: is it possible to write such module in Python or it should be written in C++?
    How does the Messaging Service interact with the rest of the system?

Many thanks,
    Matteo

Regular Contributor
    At least part of the module will need to be Symbian C++ to hook into the OS API's for the Messaging Service. You basically need a bridge to expose the system API to Python.

If you're a Symbian C++ developer, there should be more examples coming soon on how to do this. Otherwise we'll have to wait for Nokia to release a module for this, and there's no info yet on when that might be.

A full Messaging module should support reading the inbox, sending sms, and receiving sms (ie., event callbacks), so doing it right is a little more complicated then just reading messages. However, these are all native API calls...

handy little tool

I was exploring the file system my self and found the SMS store in c:/system/Mail/

I copied the os.listdir() example and tweaked it to dump a list of the whole file system to a file with sizes and last modified date

it writes it out to e:/filelog.txt for copying to somewhere to make it easier to read.

Here's the script :

http://www.proweb.co.uk/~matt/s60_file_enum.py

The messages are stored in a binary format but it shouldn't be too hard to extract the useful data.