Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Question Proper way to add to project?

Hi folks!

I've been working with CW for a few days now and there's one problem increasing with the size of my projects: What's the proper way to add libraries and sources to the project?

What already annoyed me with VC.NET and CB1.5 was the fact that you just can't simply hit some 'Add' button and have the file added. No, you first have to close the project, put the source or library into the MMP, reimport (or re-'abld' the makefile), reopen the project and reorganize your project space from scratch. Alternatively you can do it 'through the front door' of "Add files..." but end up with a non modified MMP file. Gee, this can't be the only way to do it, right?

Cheers,
    Stevie

Nokia Developer Expert
    Stevie,

Unfortunately those are the only two ways I know of to add files to a Symbian project. This limitation arises since all the tools have to use one of the Symbian SDKs to build projects, which means we're shelling out to various command-line applications that rely on the MMP file. This limits our flexibility. I'm afraid that for now we're all stuck with MMP files.

Regards,

Matt Pinsonneault
    Nokia Developer Support

Nokia Developer Expert
    In the CW Symbian 3.0 version there is an item under the Project menu to Re-Import project the active project. This way if you modify your MMP file (e.g. add/remove a SOURCE item) you can just re-import the CW project without having to close it and go through all the re-import steps again. Perhaps this might save you some time?

There is a catch: The MMP file must be in the project, which some SDKs don't add. This is also an "add-in" in the Thrill_Seekers folder in the CW Symbian 2.8.x release if you are usign that version.

Cheers,
    Tim

Regular Contributor
    You can also add files to the project by selecting the project node and right-click > Add files command. This adds the file to the CW project. Adding libraries is not so nice, since you have to add different libraries from different directories for each build separately. But for source code this works.

The bad thing is that the mmp file is not of course updated.

But with CW you can build for the device too, just by selecting the target from the project window.

Usually I update the mmp file though, it's not so annoying IMHO.