Discussion Board

web tool for device optimizations

Hello to everyone

I want to present you a web tool I created.
    It is aimed to help integrating device optimizations on the mobile site content.

You can load a mobile site url and check the content against different devices. The page is loaded independently for every selected device, so it's easy to check problems, that happen only on some devices.

Validation of the content (WML/XHTML) and checking for different device features is supported (image types, link sizes etc.)

You can find a live demo on http://www.mobiletester.com

I would like to hear your feedback about the tool.

Best regards,
    Georgi

Regular Contributor
    No graphics display...
    Not support CSS...

Hi vincentckk

The CSS is back. I removed him temporally, because of some small conflicts with some pages, which makes some of my graphical elements unusable. Now he is back

For the images - if you submit an valid page, the image paths will be changed so, that they can point to your server and the browser will load them. (wbmp will be visible only with Opera browser, but everything else should work).
    Probably you submitted an invalid page. In this case the page is sent to the browser without too much changes. In that case if you use relative image paths, they will not be found, because the page is loaded from my server. If you use full quantified urls for the images, the browser will be able to see them.
    So, correct first all red errors you see (that are fatal errors, after such error the xml parser gives up). Then you will see the images.

Best regards,
    Georgi

Hi,
    This is a great tool.

I have one suggestion which would make it work with more sites. Please send appropriate http accept headers based on what the actual device sends.

Currently , regardless of which device is selected to test, it appears that you send headers claiming to accept /text/html and */*, q=.2 which means that the device accepts anything but prefers html.

Many sites use the accept headers to determine whether to serve wml, xhtml or html. These sites, based on the headers you are sending would send html to all devices including wml only ones.

The same issue exists with images. Any site checking the accept headers you tool sends would send gif or jpeg even to a Series 30 which only accepts wbmp.

Hi dbournique,

I've added the accept headers.
    I've planned to add the correct Accept headers.

Enjoy!

Nice work adding the accept headers. I tested it again with some sites that dynamically generate different markup based on the accept headers and it works perfectly. I hope that you will be able to add some more devices especially those from Motorola, Samsung and devices running Microsoft Smartphone. This is a very usefull tool. Thanks for developing it and sharing it with the community of developers.

Hi

I'll add them these days.
    The question for me is only how to add these phones without to make the device choice overwhelming.
    With the Nokia Series 40, 60, 80 etc you can unite them very good in groups, but that's not the case for the other vendors.

Georgi