Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

socket.bt_discover throws error when selecting device

I have device that advertises itself as audio/video-device. It provides RFCOMM service at port 1 (but doesn't advertise this). Now, when I do socket.bt_discover(), and select this device on the device list dialog, the python throws error: error: (2, 'No such file or directory').

When using hardcoded address to connect to it works quite fine.

System: N7610.

Super Contributor

Re: socket.bt_discover throws error when selecting device

Originally posted by simo.salminen
    I have device that advertises itself as audio/video-device. It provides RFCOMM service at port 1 (but doesn't advertise this). Now, when I do socket.bt_discover(), and select this device on the device list dialog, the python throws error: error: (2, 'No such file or directory').

When using hardcoded address to connect to it works quite fine.

System: N7610.
    bt_discover will return an address and a dictionary that maps service names to port numbers. This information is determined from what the device advertises, and if the device doesn't advertise anything, bt_discover will raise an exception.

I admit that it would be more pythonic to simply return an empty service map dictionary if the device is found but doesn't advertise any services.

Re: Re: socket.bt_discover throws error when selecting device

Originally posted by jplauril
    bt_discover will return an address and a dictionary that maps service names to port numbers. This information is determined from what the device advertises, and if the device doesn't advertise anything, bt_discover will raise an exception.

I admit that it would be more pythonic to simply return an empty service map dictionary if the device is found but doesn't advertise any services.
    I have tried with socket.bt_discover() and it seems to find only serial services :-( I haven't succeeded to find any other service (e.g. OBEX would be nice). I know that there is a different query for obex services, but shouldn't bt_discover() find all SDP advertised services !?

Tested this with several different BT - devices that are advertising other services e.g. DUN.
    Side note, Extended Systems Blue Manager -Bluetooth Software crashed during service discovery.

- Janne, using 3650 (which is not supported/tested by Nokia)

Super Contributor

Re: Re: Re: socket.bt_discover throws error when selecting device

Originally posted by koshu
    I have tried with socket.bt_discover() and it seems to find only serial services :-( I haven't succeeded to find any other service (e.g. OBEX would be nice). I know that there is a different query for obex services, but shouldn't bt_discover() find all SDP advertised services !?
    No. As it says on page 29 of the API reference, bt_discover will only look for RFCOMM class services.