Discussion Board

How to set Image transparency for N-GAGE QD

I am currently developing a game for the N-Gage QD device and have encountered great trouble in setting the transparency for my Sprites.
    I noticed that on Series 30 and Series 40 MIDP 1.0 phones PNG image transparency is supported. But that doesnt seem to be the case on the N-Gage QD.

Is there any way possible to set the transparency for my Sprites manually. Or is there any known solution to this problem.
    Any help or solutions are highly appreciated.
    Also .. is this problem only faced by the N-GAGE QD phone or all the Series 60 MIDP 1.0 phones?

Do any Series 60 MIDP 1.0 phones support .PNG image transparency.

(P.S, i have posted this similar question in the graphics and sounds forum. sry didnt mean to spam but I have run out of resources and seriously need some guidance.)

I ask that question and more...
    Transparency can be made by tow ways:
    1. set color's transparency (for fillRect, etc.)
    2. load PNG with transparency (0-100% of trans.)

All ways works on emulator and not works on N-Gage QD!

More, i found some bug for clip.... look:
    http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...ht=%2ANGage%2A

N-Gage QD not best solution (for developer)

Any other Phones with same problems as the N-GAGE QD?

yeah, i have tried those methods, but to no avail.
    I am starting to believe that there is no possible way of enabling transparency on the N-GAGE QD.
    However i do not have any other Series 60 MIDP 1.0 Phones to test my application on.
    Do you know if the Same transparency problem is faced in all Series 60 MIDP 1.0 phones? Or is it only the Nokia N-GAGE QD?

I'm not sure... but "mans said" that on all s60 series

Tried a lot of stuff

I have tried numerous ways to get the transparency to work.!
    it just doesnt seem to work. but i will not stop trying. i am sure there is a solution to this problem somewhere.
    Anyways,.. if i find a solution i will post it here.

Don't give up!

If you have 2 images and need mix it (make transparency) - you can do it befor main rendering for good fps, or dinamicaly - but it's slow...

Make 2 int (short, byte, etc.) arrays from images:

int Image1[width*height*3]; // 3 = RGB
    int Image2[width*height*3]; // 3 = RGB

We use simple case - images with one size

Mix it
    (for 50% = R, G. B components of each image must be:
    (R1+R2)/2, etc.

And draw by Nokia's UI:
    one variation of drawPixels(byte[] / short[] / int[], ...
    (look: Series_60_MIDP_Concept_SDK_Beta_0_3_1_Nokia_edition\docs\NokiaUI\doc\com\nokia\mid\ui\DirectGraphics.html
    )

If you need get first image from graphics context, use Nokia's:
    getPixels(byte[] / short[] / int[], ...)

If you needn't build transparency image dynamicaly (for examble, HUD without dinamicaly elements may be mixed with backbuffer) - it's solution of problem - speed not impotent...

Regular Contributor
    i not sure about setting tranparency, but i sure that Nokia 7650 & 3650 can set the Image (PNG file) background tranparent.

Might Have Found A Solution

Yes I have tried the getPixels() and drawPixels() method.
    It didn't quite work on the phone. However it works on the emulator.
    I am now trying a new method, which seems to work on the emulator just fine... I will be testing it on the N-GAGE QD on tuesday..
    Hope it succeeds. If I am successful I will share the solution with u ..
    I will also try my old methods on the Nokia 7650 just to confirm if the bug is only with N-GAGE QD or also with other Series 60 MIDP 1.0 models as well.

Cheers.

BUG SOLVED

good news guys, i have successfully solved and tested my game on the N-GAGE QD. There was a transparency bug before, but i have found a solution for it.

For any of you who are facing this same problem and wish to see my solution for it, please post your contact details here, ill be glad to send u a detailed explanation.

P.S: Creator3D, if you are still facing the same problem, please leave your contact info here, if you have msn messenger it would be even better. The solution requires a lot of explaning, it wouldnt be helpful if i just posted a spec of coding here.

N91 image problem

Hi
    i am facing the problem of images in N91.Its background is made transparent.It is working properly in all devices except N91.White background is occuring instead of transparent.Can u solve this problem.
    My id is blj_prasad@yahoo.com

Regards
    Balu