Discussion Board

Question Extreme Problems accessing the Camera by an Midlet on the NOKIA 6230

Hi

I really have a serious problem with the nokia 6230. I cannot access the Camera by MIDP, everything i try fails

Heres the code:

-----------------------------

System.out.println("player erzeugen");
    player = Manager.createPlayer("capture://video");
    System.out.println("player erzeugt");
    player.realize();
    player.prefetch();
    System.out.println("prefetch");
    VideoControl vc = (VideoControl)player.getControl("VideoControl");
    System.out.println("videocontroller");

i_videoitem = (Item)vc.initDisplayMode(VideoControl.USE_GUI_PRIMITIVE,null);
    i_videoitem.setLayout(Item.LAYOUT_CENTER|Item.LAYOUT_VCENTER|Item.LAYOUT_2);
    i_videoitem.addCommand(CMD_SHOOT);
    i_videoitem.setItemCommandListener(this);

append(i_videoitem);
    append(new Spacer(getWidth(),1));
    addCommand(CMD_BACK);

player.start();

----------------------------------

My code works on the following devices / emulators:

Siemens S65,
    WTK 2.2 emulator
    Nokia 6230 Emulator (0.2 beta)

I get the livepicture of the camera as an formitem and i can take screenshots.
    But it wont work on the (real) Nokia 6230 and the Nokia SDK 2.2 emulator.

I only get an screen wich displays "empty" where normally the Videoitem is displayed.

Its not just my application wich wont work on the 6230, every application i tried wich uses the camera wont work. The Snapper from Sun wont work as the MMA Example from the WTK - even an Exampleapplication from Nokia wont work - most of the time the programs crash when i try to execute them.

Please, if you have any idea what this problem can be - please give me an answer! If you know other Midlets wich use the camera - please give me the url where i can get them. Maybe i can find an working application - this would be a great step forward for me because at the moment i dont know if the 6230 is able to access the camera by j2me... :/

I really begin hating my cellphones

Thanks a lot in advance

n3po

I don't think it's possible to access the Nokia 6230's camera through MMAPI.I know it's strange, since the Emulator from the Nokia 6230 MIDP Concept SDK Beta 0.2 does support it!
    But a call to Manager.createPlayer("capture://video"); on the phone throws a "Media Exception: Cannot create a DataSource for: capture://video". Also a call to System.getProperty("video.snapshot.encodings"); returns nothing (null) on the phone although it does return "encoding=png" on the emulator.
    If this is really an emulator (and not a mockup ;-) ), it should be possible for Nokia to make the Nokia 6230's camera accessible through MMAPI by a software update...

have a look at this thread:
    http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46046
    You're not alone ;-)