Discussion Board

Dialling a phone number from J2ME midlet

Hi everyone,

Is there a way of dialling a phone number from a MIDP 1.0 midlet. The J2ME API says the following for the "Input Constraints" section for javax.microedition.lcdui.TextField API :

PHONENUMBER
    The user is allowed to enter a phone number. The phone number is a special case, since a phone-based implementation may be linked to the native phone dialing application. The implementation may automatically start a phone dialer application that is initialized so that pressing a single key would be enough to make a call.

I tried creating a form and adding a TextField to it with an intial phone number, but it behaves like a normal text box with the Edit option.

I would appreciate any help on this. Sample could would be of greatest help.

Cheers

Hmm

Its just there to valid that the entered text is a phone number, its not there to allow dialing....

lg Clemens

Regular Contributor

Phone Number Access & Dialing

Hi,

The input constraint PHONENUMBER leads to the access of the phonebook on some phones when the textfield is clicked by the end user. In order to call a phone number the MIDlet the phone has to be MIDP 2.0 compliant which supports the platform request API to call phone numbers, open web browsers etc.

Regards,
    [N]/Forum Nokia

Re: Dialling a phone number from J2ME midlet

try something like this

private void call(String number) {
    try {
    platformRequest("tel:" + number);
    } catch (ConnectionNotFoundException ex) {
    // TODO: Exception handling
    }
    }

private void commandAction(Command c, Displayable d){