Discussion Board

Cannot create package with S40 sdk

Hi. I tried to use S40 DP 2.0 SDK 1.1 to create a package for my helloworld and encountered some problems.

I set the S40 SDK as default and generate a package with CLDC 1.1 and MIDP 2.0. When I ran that with the S40 emulator, it showed an “Application Error” message. Also, it left a warning message in the suite:
    WARNING: [MIDlet] java/lang/ClassFormatError: Bad version information.

I kept using the S40 SDK. When I try to generate the package with CLDC 1.0 and MIDP 1.0, the generation failed. The following error message was there:
    ERROR: floating-point arguments should not appear
    Error preverifying class java.lang.String

After series of failures, I tried to use the 6230 SDK. It worked fine. The package can run on S60 emulator but not S40 emulator.
    The problem is that my project targets Series 40 cell phones. How can I solve the problem? Thanks a lot!

Hi,

From what you say, I think you might have a problem with not having the correct JDK version installed and also some kind of problem with the underlying -bootclasspath.

IThere is no floating point support at all in MIDP 1 and if the mention of Float and String from the preverification stage is accurate then it sounds like your build process is picking up the standard j2SE String class, which has a method:

public static String valueOf(float f)

inside ot... the MIDP String class does not have this method in it.

So it would seem that you are building and 'linking;(!) against the wrong classes.

Sean Charles

Originally posted by seancharles
    Hi,

From what you say, I think you might have a problem with not having the correct JDK version installed and also some kind of problem with the underlying -bootclasspath.

IThere is no floating point support at all in MIDP 1 and if the mention of Float and String from the preverification stage is accurate then it sounds like your build process is picking up the standard j2SE String class, which has a method:

public static String valueOf(float f)

inside ot... the MIDP String class does not have this method in it.

So it would seem that you are building and 'linking;(!) against the wrong classes.

Sean Charles
    Thanks a lot! You gave me the hint.
    I compiled my source code again and can generate the package with CLDC 1.1 & MIDP 1.0 now.

Excellent!

It always amazes me how easy it is sometimes to help other people fix problems when your own seem insurmountable at times.

I hope you can finish your application now.

Glad I could help... now, where was I... the lump hammer....

I encountered this problem either, but I solved it

My enviroment of development is WTK2.0.
    I select CLDC1.1 option instead of CLDC1.0 before I press Build(compiliing). This is located in Setting Menu. after this, I couldn't see the error message anymore.

Have a good time.

Re: Cannot create package with S40 sdk

When you compiled with CLDC1.1, did the app run on the actual phone? Some phones like the 3220 only support CLDC1.0, so I was wondering if compiling/preverifying with CLDC1.1 would run on the actual phone, even though it seems to work on the emulator?

Cool Re: Cannot create package with S40 sdk

Quote Originally Posted by marcilgen
    When you compiled with CLDC1.1, did the app run on the actual phone? Some phones like the 3220 only support CLDC1.0, so I was wondering if compiling/preverifying with CLDC1.1 would run on the actual phone, even though it seems to work on the emulator?

It's about two years ago after I quit programming. I didn't work as a programmer, but I can answer the question what you want. I witnessed the compiled app with CLDC1.1 was operated on real phones. I tested it. I think CLDC1.1 would be a industrial standard in the world or only in Korea.