Discussion Board

creating standalone python applications

Is it true that py2sis only works with the newer 2.0 version of Series 60 OS ?

Is it true that py2sis creates a SIS file which only works if python has been pre-installed on the target device?

If so, is it forseen (or is it somehow doable today) to generate a standalone SIS file containing all necessary installable items (i.e. a python application *and* the python run-time environment)?

Thanks.
    Last edited by simonhardyfrancis; 2005-01-19 at 08:19.

py2sis for pre-2nd edition Series 60 devices

Programming_with_Python_1_0.pdf states "py2sis is a utility for packaging a Python script as a SIS file to be installed in the Symbian Series 60
    2nd edition devices. py2sis comes with the Python for Series 60 SDK installation package."

Is there some alternative solutions for pre-2nd edition devices? ;-)
    (I am developing for Siemens SX1).

That said, the 'RELEASE NOTES for Nokia Python for Series 60 Platform 1.0' (in file Release_Notes_for_PythonForSeries60_v1_0.txt) says:

Standalone Python applications generated by py2sis tool require Python for Series 60 installed on the target device.

Originally posted by simonhardyfrancis
    That said, the 'RELEASE NOTES for Nokia Python for Series 60 Platform 1.0' (in file Release_Notes_for_PythonForSeries60_v1_0.txt) says:

Standalone Python applications generated by py2sis tool require Python for Series 60 installed on the target device.
    Yes, I understand that sis files created by py2sis depend on Python (must be installed on the device).

But how I would create sis file when my phone is Series 60 version 1 - Symbian 6.1, SDK 1.2? Means py2sis is not available for this phone... Is there some alternative for application packaging, pls?

Regular Contributor
    Originally posted by mkol5222

But how I would create sis file when my phone is Series 60 version 1 - Symbian 6.1, SDK 1.2? Means py2sis is not available for this phone... Is there some alternative for application packaging, pls?
    Try "py2sis" with switch "--presdk20", this should do the trick. For more information about the options available execute "py2sis" with no arguments.

Wrapping a "totally" standalone application (i.e. no need to install Python for Series 60 separately) should be also possible: for this you should use embedded sis-files, for more information see the SDK documentation with keywords "Package file format .pkg".

Regular Contributor
    As otsov mentioned, it *is* possible to make a SIS file that installs your application and the python interpreter; However, it's a little more complicated and requires you to know a bit more about using makesis (the tool py2sis wraps.) However, if you do learn how to use makesis, you'll have more control over your installation.

py2sis could be expanded to include this funcationality, but there are a few issues: First, there are two different builds of Python so you'll need to make two different installers for the different Series 60 platforms (which is how the C++ guys have to do it too.) Second, shipping Python is going to make your app installer pretty large (which may or may not be an issue.) And finally, Python and the standard libraries sit in a shared library space and you likely don't want to over-write an existing installation.

If those issues aren't a problem for you, then it can certainly be done. I'd suggest hacking the funcationality into py2sis so you'll only have to solve the problem once.

Originally posted by mkol5222

I'm using Python for Series 60 compatible with Siemens SX1 (PythonForSeries60_SDK_1_2.zip). It does not contain py2sis.

Should I install some different version to be able to use py2sin and call it with --presdk20 switch?

Thanks
    Tom

Regular Contributor
    as it was mentioned earlier,it is possible to use py2sis. there's one more possibility - uncomment two lines in default.py. search this forum for details

Using Py2sis

Does anyone have any instructions for using py2sis?

I got past the # no SYMBIAN_UID Error

but now it expects a template.

Error [ErrNo 2] No such file or directory:
    C:\\dev\python\templates\pyapp_template.tmp

Apparently there were release notes with py2sis but I had to drag the app out of the install file manually so I don't have them. Any instructions on how to use it would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Regular Contributor

Re: Using Py2sis

Originally posted by kateeveritt
    Does anyone have any instructions for using py2sis?
    The default installation location for "py2sis" is:

C:\Nokia\Tools\Python_for_Series_60\py2sis

Under this directory you need to have a directory called "\templates". This directory comes with the installation package and there is no need to create it separately. If you don't have this directory then your installation is broken and "py2sis" will not work.

For instructions check "Programming with Python" (Chapter 12) or execute "py2sis" without command line arguments:

Code:
    Python to SIS
    usage: py2sis.exe <src> [sisfile] [--uid=0x01234567] [--appname=myapp] [--presdk
    20]

src      - Source script or directory
           sisfile  - Path of the created SIS file
           uid      - Symbian UID for the application
           appname  - Name of the application
           presdk20 - Use a format suitable for pre-SDK2.0 phones

Re: Re: Using Py2sis

Originally posted by otsov
    The default installation location for "py2sis" is:

C:\Nokia\Tools\Python_for_Series_60\py2sis

Under this directory you need to have a directory called "\templates". This directory comes with the installation package and there is no need to create it separately. If you don't have this directory then your installation is broken and "py2sis" will not work.

[/code]
    Well.. I think there is an issue with the .zip files that are available for download. I could not successfully install PythonForSeries60_SDK_2_1, there is no py2sis file, not \template directory in the location you mentioned (C:\Nokia\Tools\Python_for_Series_60\).
    I've also tried PythonForSeries60_SDK_2_0, same results.

I've windows XP /sp2
    have installed Perl, S60_SDK_2_1_NET

Fortunately, I could successfully installed S60_SDK_2_1_NET.zip and it works well on my Nokia 3230.

Any tips ?

Best regards.

Jean-Pierre Buttet

You can actually grab the templates out of the templates.zip file in that directory and get py2sis to work.

all the gory details
    http://nokiapython.blogspot.com/2005/04/py2sis.html

Originally posted by kateeveritt
    You can actually grab the templates out of the templates.zip file in that directory and get py2sis to work.

all the gory details
    http://nokiapython.blogspot.com/2005/04/py2sis.html
    Thank you for you answer. I've tried this was not able to explore the zip.... I'll wait for a new release of the SDK ;-)