Discussion Board

Using Camera On Series 60 Device

Hi all,

I'm currently developing an application that runs on Nokia Series 60 2.0 platform. A part of my application involves caturing still images and recording video. While there are various ways to achieve what I want, I realized that I can't decide on which method to use. They are:

1) Use the onboard camera API (CCamera)
    2) Use the RCameraServ class
    3) Use view-switching to switch to the native camera application

I cannot use any of the above solutions. For the first one, some phones require a separate plugin specially for the camera (e.g Nokia 6600), and this will reduce portability. For the second one, the RCameraServ class has been deprecated in the 2.0 version of the SDK. For the third one, I need to make modifications to the image, and they must be present on the viewfinder itself, so I cannot rely on the native camera application.

So am I forced to use the RCameraServ class, despite being deprecated?

Nokia Developer Moderator
    you should make different versions of the camera handler, the camera server for 6.1 phones and CCamera for 2.X phones, then it works the best.

Basically you can them put both files into your sis and make the decision which app file will be installed iinto the phone during installation process autom.

yucca

Super Contributor
    Hi,

it looks interesting to provide two apps in one sis file - in spite of it will be 2 times bigger, but how the decision is made, which version will be installed? I thing something in .pkg file? Any example?
    Thx
    STeN

you basically need to do so, othervise the app wont work in all of the phones. this is due the fact that OS 6.1 phones doen't support CCamera, and some OS 7.1 & 8.0 phones does not include libraries for the camera server.

Anyway, if you want to save some space, you can put the functionality into the DLL, and just ship a application that is made with 1.2 SDK, that uses which ever DLL is then installed into the phone.

Yes, you just make normal else-if type selection into your pkg, you can base it on machine UID, OS version, or you could make the selection based on the files that can be found from the phone, anyway you want to do it, really.

yucca

Sounds very difficult. The camera server solution requires an active object, while the onboard camera solution does not.

Also, how do you decide which app to install during installation?

I'm sorry but I'm very new to Symbian C++, so kindly pardon my possible ignorance.

Any help will really be greatly appreciated.

yep, it can be difficult, but if you want to make it to work in all phones, you need to figure it out. Anyway, making separate camera containers usually works pretty well, and then you can copy-paste the code directly from examples, then the other parts of the application just gets the captured bitmap image if necessary.

check the SDK documentation for pkg file for more information of how to generate SIS files.
    yucca