Discussion Board

S60 emulator problem

Hello!
    I have S60 SDK V0.9 and Socket Communications BT card in my PC. Digianswer's Bluetooth Software Suite have installed to my PC too.

I tried to run BTDiscovery example, from SDK examples, in emulator. When I choose Options|Discover, emulator says "Bluetooth is currently switched off. Switch on?". When I choose Yes, emulator responses "System error.".

Is there some settings I must configure? SDK is installed by defaults and this is my first test with S60 emulator. (Don't say that I must change my operating system

Best regards

Markus

Nokia Developer Moderator

RE: S60 emulator problem

The preferred OS is Win2000. In NT the installation of the serial comms driver for the card is, if not impossible, at least tedious.

Socket card should do as well (an alternative choice is DTL-4), but you must not have the Digianswer SWS nor original card drivers installed. This is because the emulator has an own stack, and therefore original Bluetooth software of the card cannot be used.
    --------------------------
    To remove the original stack and drivers:
    -uninstall BT SWS
    -remove Connectivity Card and Bluetooth protocols (RFCOMM, SDP) from Control Panel-> Add/remove hardware. If those hardware devices are not visible, click the check box to see hidden devices.

After that remove all dga.* files from System folders (System32, Drivers, etc.).

Now the PC should be clean and ready for the usage of an emulator with a Bluetooth card.
    -------------------------

Here is how to install the comms driver for the card:

The card shall be installed as a COM port. If there are no earlier drivers installed for the card, Win2000 notices new hardware and a Hardware Wizard opens. There you
    Select 'Display a list of the known drivers...' and then select 'Ports (COM&LPT)', and then 'Communications Port'. Windows notices that it cannot verify the compatibility of the hardware and the driver. Despite this, select 'Yes'.

The COM port must be COM2-COM6. You can change this in Control Panel ->System -> Device Manager.

After that you have to configure the bt.esk file in C:\Symbian\6.1\Series60\Epoc32\Wins\c\system\data. Open it with Notepad and xhange the port of [hci] so that it is one less than the COM port installed for the card (this is because of indexation).

Better described installation instructions will be published soon in the Bluetooth documents section.

It is worth noting that because of the differences of emulator and target environments (different latencies etc.) the application may work differently on phone. E.g. Bluetooth samples of the SDK have been tested on real hardware. They may not be fully compatible with the emulator.

However, the emulator can help you in testing simple tasks such as device discovery, connection establishment, and data transfer from emulator to another Bluetooth device (e.g. Nokia 7650).

-Seppo
    Forum Nokia

I am using a BT3030 USB Dongle with Widcomm Bluetooth Software 1.2.2.4 and PC Suite for Nokia 7650 to connect to my Nokia 7650 to transter the photo which is taken by 7650 camera.

Refer to seppo_fn "This is because the emulator has an own stack, and therefore original Bluetooth software of the card cannot be used."

Do you mean I have to remove PC suite for Nokia 7650 and Widcomm Bluetooth Software 1.2.2.4.

"The card shall be installed as a COM port. If there are no earlier drivers installed for the card, Win2000 notices new hardware and a Hardware Wizard opens.
    There you Select 'Display a list of the known drivers...' and then select 'Ports (COM&LPT)', and then 'Communications Port'. Windows notices that it cannot verify the compatibility of the hardware and the driver. Despite this, select 'Yes'.

The COM port must be COM2-COM6. You can change this in Control Panel ->System -> Device Manager"

If I uninstall Widcomm Bluetooth Software 1.2.2.4, there will be

1) NO Bluetooth Communication Ports (COM3-COM13) Section Ports(COM &LPT)
    2) NO Bluetooth Fax MOdem, Bluetooth Modem and Bluetooth Null Modem in Section Modems
    3) NO Bluetooth LAN Access Server Driver

within Device Manager of Control Panel

Do you mean PC suite for Nokia 7650 can not be installed so that Emulator can use its own stack ?

Refer to http://www.symbian.com/technology/standard-blue.html

"In the Symbian OS Bluetooth architecture, core stack functionality is implemented by two components, HCI.DLL and the Bluetooth protocol module (BT.PRT). The Host Controller Interface module encapsulates the canonical set of HCI commands and events. Currently the serial UART flavor of HCI has been implemented using the Ericsson Bluetooth Development Kit, the DigiAnswer PCMCIA cards and most recently the Cambridge Silicon Radio Casira modules as reference hardware. Symbian is, however, able to support any HCI-compliant Bluetooth hardware through a modular Host Controller Transport Layer architecture.

BT.PRT encapsulates the Bluetooth L2CAP and RFComm layers. As a Symbian OS protocol module, it provides a sockets API to these protocols. BT.PRT furthermore spawns distinct Bluetooth Manager and Service Discovery Protocol (SDP) server threads. The Bluetooth Manager abstracts all User Interface interactions and access to non-volatile storage. This allows for a future implementation of flexible access policies to the range of services supported by a Symbian OS phone. The SDP server handles SDP queries and responses. Serial port emulation is supported by the Bluetooth comm server module (BTCOMM.CSY) module which provides a number of thin virtual serial ports for different legacy services running over RFCOMM socket functionality."

Is it possible for the emulator to use Bluetooth device other than Nokia Connectivity Card DTL-4 and Socket Bluetooth Card ?

Answer to raymondyau:
    If you want to use the Series 60 emulator to test Bluetooth applications, you have to remove Digianswer-based Bluetooth unit (protocol stack and HW driver for the card). According to my knowledge, you don't have to uninstall other Bluetooth units. You don't need to unistall PC suite for Nokia 7650 either.

The reason for this is that if you have a DA stack and a driver for a Bluetooth card using the DA stack (e.g. DTL-4 or Socket), PC does not recognize 'new hardware' and does not suggest installing a new driver for the card, but it just uses the commercial DA software and hardware for the DTL-4 or Socket card. And it is not possible to use the emulator with the Digianswer stack and card drivers.

Currently only DTL-4 or Socket Bluetooth CF cards can be used with the emulator.

-Seppo
    Forum Nokia

Can I use my 7650 to send/receive FAX via Bluetooth BT3030 dongle on Windows 2000 ?

PC Suite for 7650 work fine on W2K with Bluetooth connection. ( I can perform image transfer via Bluetooth )

The Installation program Modem_Setup_for_7650 cannot found Bluetooth connection during installation ? (Bluetooth part is disabled and only Infra-red is enabled but I don't have Infra-red in my PC )

I have deselect COM4 port in PC Suite before the installation of Modem_setup_for_7650.

The color of Fax modem in Widcomm Bluetooth Suite is green, but I cannot send/receive FAX.

Do I need to install Modem_Setup_for_7650 in order to user 7650 to send/receive FAX ?

To 'raymondyau':

Please note this discussion board is targeted at application development related questions. In end-user questions we recommend you to send your questions to our product support channels (www.club.nokia.com).

Check also Product support pages at www.nokia.com for further information. For Nokia 7650 the direct link is:
    http://www.nokia.com/cda1/0,1080,2018,00.html

Seppo
    Forum Nokia