Discussion Board

How to create a partly transparent Canvas to lay on top of another Canvas?

I want to create a custom graphical object (which extends Canvas) which needs to be placed on top of another object which extends from Canvas. In such a way that it looks like they're overlapping eachother.

I do this by calling display.setCurrent() with a Canvas object.
    I create another Canvas object on which I call graphics.translate() to move it downwards, and then display.setCurrent() to show it.

When I create the object and use graphics.translate() to move it downwards, not the canvas below it is visible, but the remainder of the translated area is filled up with white pixels.

This works fine on the WTK2.2 emulator, but does not work on the Series40, Series60 emulator or Nokia 6600 phone.

What am I missing? or, how can I create a Canvas object which is transparent.

Re: How to create a partly transparent Canvas to lay on top of another Canvas?

hi mkleijer

I'm having the problem to use canvas in transparent state, I tried all sort of things like drawing whole screen area with drawRGB with alpha processing enabled. it works well for me in emulator. but it doesn't do that in 6600 device. when I searching the net to get the solution I saw your post for the similar problem so that I mailed you to know that is it the problem solved, if so please help me to solve the problem.

Thanks in advance

regards
    -Pugal.G

Super Contributor

hi Pugal,

that old thread topic is about somethign different: original topic was about abstraction layer which is not possible on phones and MIPD 2.0 at all (multiple Displayable instances at the same time),

your issue could be related to 6600 MIPD implementation which has a lot of issues in it,
    so first review "known issues" doc for that device:
    http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...63&postcount=2

hth,
    regards,
    Peter

Regular Contributor

Hi i am trying to do something similar to mine and was wondering how i can draw the remaining white pixels into transparent?

Except for the drawARGB() with transpanreny enabled thers no way u can make the background image as transparent ...however since 6600 has many known issues it is difficult to get this running on it