Discussion Board

Transferring .py files to 6630

When I try to transfer a .py file to my phone (ignoring py2sis for now) I can't see E:\System in PC Suite's transfer application.

Obviously I could upload it to E:\ and then move it using FExplorer, but that's hardly streamlined development

How does everyone else transfer .py files?

I know Python isn't the main app source for S60 devices, but I assume someone's got a reasonably smooth setup (edit script in your choice of editor, single drop target to drag from WIndows explorer to the right place in the phone, running Python on the phone choose Run script, bingo bango).

Super Contributor
    There are at least three pure-Python file transfer solutions implemented that I know of: The one from the PDIS project, the one from Nokia (that is unfortunately not yet released) and SyncAndRun, a modified version of btconsole available at:

http://org.csail.mit.edu/mode/index.php/SyncAndRun

I haven't tried that SyncAndRun myself yet, but it looks handy.

I saw the SyncAndRun one (after posting to the boards), but I don't use Bluetooth (rather the USB datacable) and they all seem to rely on BT.

I do it the easy way - not with browse (which doesn't seem to work at all from the mac anyhow) but with "Send File", which is I assume OBEX-level... at least from the Mac, I use Bluetooth File Exchange, drag the foo.py file to it, hit send, on the 6630, I "accept message from..", and in the inbox it pops up a menu of "install as library" or "install as application". These put it in the right place so that it appears along sys.path or appears in the RunScript menu.

In other words, "let the phone do the work" :-)