Discussion Board

Running a Python script on the emulator?

Hi, I'm not much in to the SDK and I wonder how I can run Python scripts on the series 60 emulator. I guess I should install Python for the SDK. And then? I have a .py script. How can I run it?

10x in advance

Nokia 3650

Here's how I did it for the version 1 SDK.

Put the .py file in: C:\Symbian\6.1\Series60\Epoc32\Release\wins\udeb\z\system\apps\PYTHON\my

You might have to create the "my" folder.

Start the emulator (through the programs menu) in debug mode. Start python in the emulator (near the bottom), then choose run script.

One other thing I had to do was modify the default.py file (search for it) because it checked for ".py" files, but for some reason when files were copied over in my file reader to my MMC card even though Windows shows the file is "test.py", Symbian sees it as "test.PY" or "TEST.PY". I had to do something like .lower() the search string or something, post if you can't figure it out and I'll find the exact change I made.

jay

Re: Nokia 3650

Originally posted by jaydorsey
    Here's how I did it for the version 1 SDK.

Put the .py file in: C:\Symbian\6.1\Series60\Epoc32\Release\wins\udeb\z\system\apps\PYTHON\my

You might have to create the "my" folder.

Start the emulator (through the programs menu) in debug mode. Start python in the emulator (near the bottom), then choose run script.

One other thing I had to do was modify the default.py file (search for it) because it checked for ".py" files, but for some reason when files were copied over in my file reader to my MMC card even though Windows shows the file is "test.py", Symbian sees it as "test.PY" or "TEST.PY". I had to do something like .lower() the search string or something, post if you can't figure it out and I'll find the exact change I made.

jay

Hi Jay,

i also have some problems about all this too.SO i've installed the packages(SDK 2.0) to run on my PC. I need to start the emulator.But is it already included in the packages?If it is, how can i start it?Howcan i run the script...(I guess i should save my self wriiten codes in the 'my' folder)?

If not included in the package, where to find an emulator for this task?

I'm a novice in this field and need help..

200 x thanks in advance

Yannick

To start the emulator you should just be able to go to Start>Programs>Symbian 1 SDK's>Series 60 Emulators (that's what my path is)

jay

Originally posted by jaydorsey
    To start the emulator you should just be able to go to Start>Programs>Symbian 1 SDK's>Series 60 Emulators (that's what my path is)

jay
    Hi,
    thanks for ur information.Thats what i've done.Ok the first package i installed what a package for Symbian with C++.I know how the emulator should have to look now.But then i installed the appropriate version Symbian 8.0s SDK 2nd ed. FP2 for the Nokia 6630.
    I tought i should have another link Start->Symbian 8.0s SDS's->.... But it's not the case...So i can't start the application to write even simple python applications.
    How could i master this problem?

100x Thanks

Yannick

How do I get only the emulator?

Hi!

Is there a way to get only the emulator for series 60?

The SDK download is > 100MB, and I only want the emu.

Thanks,

JP.

sdk download...

You Can't Make an Omelette Without Breaking Eggs...

You will see that the sdk has other great tools and several information :-)