Discussion Board

Thread: UI development

Question UI development

Hello,

I'd like to use Python in order to create quiclky and easily some protypes of my application.
    However i am not sure i can create all the UI components i need with Python.
    Reading the "Api reference for Python 1.0" and "Programming with Python" i didn't find what i was looking for.

For example, i want to draw "Radio Buttons", "Check boxes", "Activity Bar", "Text fields".

Is it possible to do that. If "Yes" can you redirect me to a good documentation.

Thank You very much.

Cyril

Super Contributor

Re: UI development

Originally posted by cmaillet
    Hello,

I'd like to use Python in order to create quiclky and easily some protypes of my application.
    However i am not sure i can create all the UI components i need with Python.
    Reading the "Api reference for Python 1.0" and "Programming with Python" i didn't find what i was looking for.

For example, i want to draw "Radio Buttons", "Check boxes", "Activity Bar", "Text fields".
    What do you mean by radio buttons? You can have a radio button field in a Form, that shows the choices when you click it. (the 'combo' field type)

Check boxes are not supported as a graphical element, though of course you could have a 'combo' field in a Form that has the choices "yes" and "no".

Progress bars are not supported yet.

Text fields are supported both in a Form and as a standalone Text widget.

See the Sports Diary and RSS Reader examples included with the SDK and listed in the Programming Guide. They demonstrate what you can do with the Form and Text widgets.

Thank you for your answer.

Actually i want to do a mock-up of an application. So the visual aspect is really very important.
    The true question is :
    - Is it possible to draw graphical components, with Python, which looklike exactly the same than the native components in the Symbian OS ?

- Is it possible to deploy an application using Python, which is exactly the same (Look&Feel) than (for example) the native messaging application in the Symbian OS?

If you know a good solution to do mock-up (UI and navigation through the application) i am open.

Super Contributor
    Originally posted by cmaillet
    - Is it possible to draw graphical components, with Python, which looklike exactly the same than the native components in the Symbian OS ?

- Is it possible to deploy an application using Python, which is exactly the same (Look&Feel) than (for example) the native messaging application in the Symbian OS?

If you know a good solution to do mock-up (UI and navigation through the application) i am open. [/B]
    Python supports a subset of the actual native widgets. If that set is enough, then yes, they look and feel the same since they are the same. (Though some features of those widgets, like icons in a Listbox, are not yet supported.) Also there is no graphics API yet, so you can't draw anything besides those supported widgets.

The native messaging application uses many features that are not supported yet (like those icons in a Listbox)
    so constructing a visually identical copy of that in Python is not yet possible. Does the UI mockup have to look fully identical?

I'm not really an expert on constructing UI mockups, but I once used Tcl/Tk for that. Probably not the best solution and doing a visually identical mockup with that would take a lot of effort anyway, but it worked for me back then.

Thank you for your answer.
    Tcl/Tk could be helpful for me. I am going to try.