Discussion Board

Installing Device Driver for Symbian

Hi,
    I'm Code Warrior OEM version user for writing device drivers for symbian. Can any one let me know

Hhow to install device driver on new device(phone) and how to configure the kernel in order to install driver ?

How to connect and configure the phone to the host PC for installing the device driver ?

Do we need to access the Symbian OS Source code for writing new device driver for it ?

I'm very thankful to you if anyone answer these queries.

Thanks & Regards
    Sridhar

Super Contributor
    As far as I'm aware, you can't add device drivers to a Series 60 phone, except at the stage where the ROM files are compiled / generated.

I would like to confirm

is it possible to write device driver for series 60 phones by becoming a platinum partner?

Super Contributor
    Not quite. Besides being a Symbian Platinum Partner, you also need to license the Symbian DevKit. After that, as Series 60 does not allow for arbitrary device driver installation, you also need to partner with Nokia or other Series 60 device makers to get your device driver on the phone.

See the http://www.series60.com for the different kinds of relationships descriped there: http://www.series60.com/product_creation_community

Re: Installing Device Driver for Symbian

Quote Originally Posted by petrib
    Besides being a Symbian Platinum Partner, you also need to license the Symbian DevKit. After that, as Series 60 does not allow for arbitrary device driver installation, you also need to partner with Nokia or other Series 60 device makers to get your device driver on the phone.
    Is there any documentation stating these to facts clearly?

Re: Installing Device Driver for Symbian

Hey, Did u get the info on how to develop device drivers on S60 phones. pls let me know.