Discussion Board

Thread: IMEI-Number

IMEI-Number

Hello guys

I read there is no way to read the imei-number of a nokia phone in my J2ME-Midlet.
    But you can read this via a c++ module.

I'm wondering can I use a c++ module to get the imei-number, write this in a file
    then open this file via my j2me midlet and read the number out?

can this work?
    must my phone be a symbian device or can I do it with every nokia?

thank you in advance!

From my experience (though I am not 100% certain) - a Midlet (RecordStore class) can not read a file from local storage that is not associated with a Midlet in itself (translation - the file has to be created by a Midlet in order for that same or different Midlet to read it) . I think there is a way of reading files that are packaged with the .jar file when downloaded to the device - which is better defined somewhere in this forum.

I'm quite new in J2ME.
    Therefore before I begin to read how to read and write in recordStores I would like to know if I can use c++ for every nokia to get the imei number of can I use that just for symbian devices.
    Can someone help?

I thought I create an empty recordstore A.
    Execute my c++ prog and get the imei number and write this in my recordstore A.
    Then start my midlet and read the imei number out of A.

Does this make sense?

Thank you!

Super Contributor
    You can write C++ apps only for Symbian OS based phones, not any phones with Nokia's own phone OS (Series 30, Series 40).