Discussion Board

Slow writes to the MMC card

Hi,

My app is writing out a lot of data to the MMC card, but for a 10kB buffer I'm seeing the writes take up over a second. (This compares to about .2 seconds on the C: drive.)

Do you have any suggestions about how I can make this more efficient, e.g. optimal buffer lengths or other techniques?

Thanks in advance,

Polly

Super Contributor

Re: Slow writes to the MMC card

Originally posted by pollyp
    Hi,

My app is writing out a lot of data to the MMC card, but for a 10kB buffer I'm seeing the writes take up over a second. (This compares to about .2 seconds on the C: drive.)

Do you have any suggestions about how I can make this more efficient, e.g. optimal buffer lengths or other techniques?
    Not much beyond using as big a buffer as you can or getting a faster MMC card. There are quite significant differences in write performance between different cards.

I want to work the application is writing the words when you hear it help me

Super Contributor

As stated, buffer and write in bigger chunks, or buy faster memor cards.

If your user interface locks up while writing, move the writing to another thread (if possible with Python, I don't know).

Not much else that can be done about the problem.

Hi.
    I presume you are using microSD card and not MMC anymore.
    Did you consider also the fact Symbian or other applications are accessing the memory card at the same time you are performing I/O? This surely slows down your own I/Os. (I have noticed once Symbian was using the microSD card for ~10 minutes).