Discussion Board

Hybrid View

Lightbulb pan/dun through python

One of the worst disadvantages of the symbian v7 phones (ex 6600) for me is the absence of mRouter in order to make an tcp/ip connection with the lan (and thus internet).
    I am wondering now whether it would be possible to make this work using python.
    e.g. setting up a ppp session through rfcomm and making the phone recognize the resulting connection, using it for all ip traffic.
    Now does anyone have any idea why this would or would not be possible, and possibly any hints about how to start hacking?

Super Contributor

Re: pan/dun through python

Originally posted by smarttheus
    One of the worst disadvantages of the symbian v7 phones (ex 6600) for me is the absence of mRouter in order to make an tcp/ip connection with the lan (and thus internet).
    I am wondering now whether it would be possible to make this work using python.
    e.g. setting up a ppp session through rfcomm and making the phone recognize the resulting connection, using it for all ip traffic.
    Now does anyone have any idea why this would or would not be possible, and possibly any hints about how to start hacking?
    You can try to tackle the problem at several different levels. These ideas come to mind:

- You could write a native extension to Python that interfaces to the Symbian OS and somehow acts as an access point and routes traffic through to a Python application that can then forward it over Bluetooth to a listening server on a desktop machine. This would enable you to use TCP/IP over Bluetooth from any Symbian application, but it may take quite a lot of expertise in Symbian networking to implement.

- You could write a HTTP proxy server in Python that listens for connections on the local network interface and forwards the traffic over a Bluetooth connection. Then you could simply set that as your proxy in access point settings. This would probably make it possible to use BT for HTTP connections formed by any Symbian app that respects proxy settings.

- You could write a wrapper for the Python socket module that transparently forwards the connections over a Bluetooth connection. This would make it possible to use BT for any Python applications that use the network.

Re: pan/dun through python

Originally posted by smarttheus
    Are you familiar with this page? Maybe gnubox will work for you too.