Discussion Board

How to invoke the WAP browser from a midlet?

Hello everyone, I'm new to J2ME and this board here.

Here is the dilemma I'm facing and wondering if anyone could please give some advices:

I'm trying to develop a J2ME application that allows a mobile client to do content searching from a web server through HTTP, i.e. search for some midlet games/pictures etc that are compatible with the mobile device and download them automatically once agreed by the user.

I have developed a midlet that runs on the client side to search the applications provided by the server, the server then returns a URL that points to where the requested resource is located. It's all well up to this point, the question now comes down to what type of media should be used to retrieve (and therefore display) that resource. I was thinking of using WAP for reasons such as recommended OTA practices, so is there a way for my midlet to automatically invoke a WAP browser to go to an arbitrarily chosen URL?

Any advice would be appreciated, please either reply to this post or email me at kevinliu82@yahoo.co.uk

Many thanks!
    Kevin

Super Contributor
    Only in MIDP 2.0 with the platformRequest method (in the MIDlet class). MIDP 1.0 doesn't have a feature like that.

shmoove

fantastic!

Hi shmoove, thanks for your fast response! I'll look into MIDP 2.0.

Kevin