Discussion Board

How would EAIF java library support DRM features

Being found that Sony Ericsson(T68i) support a mechanism called Limited distribution to limit any object recieved in an mms, from being forwarded from the phone.

Limited distribution is a part of the MMS header for that object. The content type is defined as belows:

Content=Type:application/vnd.mms.ericsson.protected
    Header field name:X-Mms-ericsson-Protected
    Header field value: same values as from the Content-Type header

The phone will recognise the indication, disabling the object from being used in outgoing messages. With the set of Java library download from the forum.nokia, please indicate which part of the code can be changed to add the above header information in (e.g. encoder??)?

Super Contributor

RE: How would EAIF java library support DRM features

Hi,

You might want to try to modify the MMEncoder/MMDecoder classes of the MMS Java Library.

Regular Contributor

I think you need to get some clarification on this from Ericsson. The way I interpret their MMS Developer's Guidelines document (which explains this "Limited Distribution&quot is that this goes in the actual *parts* of the multipart message which is the MMS.

E.g. in "How2CreateMMSServices" document from ForumNokia, Figure 9 (WSP message w/MMS PDU revealed - multipart.related), the start of the 2nd part would actually look like this:

Content-type: application/vnd.mms.ericsson.protected
    X-Mms-Ericsson-Protected: image/gif
    Content-ID: <SmileyFace.gif>

But that is just my interpretation, and has not been tested. So in this case you would need to just get that X-Mms header added somehow - the methods for setting the other headers are already there.

-paul / forumNokia

is there any DRM-liked functionality (e.g. the Limited Distribution function in Ericsson T68i handsets) for Nokia's handsets?

Super Contributor

Hi,

There are protected content-types in Nokia phones, which cannot be forwarded. E.g. ringing tones, logos, wallpapers and Java apps are protected content.

Best regards,
    V / Forum Nokia