Discussion Board

Symbian UI testing with Python

I'm a test engineer wirh some test automation experience with Python (and plenty of other tools). I'm currently testing Symbian applications and would be interested to use Python there.

Are there any ways to interact with Symbian applications using Python? I would be interested to either hook directly with UI widgets or send keypad commands to the app.

On Windows I've been doing this kind of things both directly through COM and using SendKeys (see http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Coo...n/Recipe/65107). It would be awesome if anything like that would be possible in Symbian.

Re: Symbian UI testing with Python

I am waiting for the answer too....

Super Contributor

Re: Symbian UI testing with Python

Quote Originally Posted by laukpe View Post
    I'm a test engineer wirh some test automation experience with Python (and plenty of other tools). I'm currently testing Symbian applications and would be interested to use Python there.

Are there any ways to interact with Symbian applications using Python? I would be interested to either hook directly with UI widgets or send keypad commands to the app.

On Windows I've been doing this kind of things both directly through COM and using SendKeys (see http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Coo...n/Recipe/65107). It would be awesome if anything like that would be possible in Symbian.
    Well,

There are ways to launch certain apps as well as bring certain apps foreground. This helps a bit. Furthermore there are ways to send keypresses to any focused application.

That's about it. There are no ways to directly hook into any UI widget at all. Only to send keypresses into application in general. In my opinion you can do some limited kind of automated UI testing with PyS60, but not enough. Additional testing will be required.

Cheers,

--jouni