Discussion Board

symbian signed package file

Hi,

I'm going to apply symbian signed for my application. My application is for both S60 and UIQ phones. Currently, I make two sis files using seperated package file for different target phones.
    My question is: do I need to submit two seperated sis files for S60 and UIQ, or I have to use one package file to make one sis file for both platform?

Thanks for any answers.

-zhxys

Regular Contributor
    as far as I know, you cannot create a single SIS file for both UIQ and Series60 installations. This would then mean you would have to get both of these SIS files Symbian Signed

Thanks for reply,
    Another problem that,
    After I digitally signed my application, it couldn't be installed on my P900 any more, the phone shows "Component failed security check. Cannot install'. Why?? I just add one line *"xxxx.key","xxxx.cer" to my .pkg file, and these two files works fine in my S60 version.

Is it normal?

-Thanks,

As I've understood....
    Application should be signed with Symbian/Verisign certificate and not yours in order to be properly installed on the device.

Signing the app. with your signature is for the safe communication between "You" and "SymbSigned Test House".

Only when SymbSigned Test is passed, the SymbSigned Test House signs the app with signature that device recognize as trustful.

Hope it helps?

PS.
    When you pass the SymbSigned please share the expirience, whatever it might be... No-one does that on the forum. For example which test house you choose and why... Did you apply for waiver etc ...Bla bla

PPS.
    Regarding previous question ...
    If two .app files bundled together in one .sis file have to be signed separatelly it means that signing is per .app file. What about if you have some simple myapp_uninstaller.exe executable along with your .app file bundled in .sis file?

It seems to me that signing, is per .sis file... (I didnot see restrictions about bundling more .app files in it.)

But on the other hand testing is per device...

Now, what happens if you bundle UIQ/S60 versions alltogether in one .sis file, than test it just for one platform and get signed it. Than you would have signed .sis for two platforms. The only way it want work on both platforms is if thay have different root-certifacates or what-ever it's called. That is: if testhouse sign differently your .sis for different platforms/devices.
    But in that case, what happens if you test./sign your app for Nokia7610. Will it be automatically signed for N6600 ?

Hm, so many things not clarified... cccccc. :-)

Havefun
    Og

Hi oshami,

The signature files I used (mentioned above) not mine, they were from VeriSign officially, and these files worked fine in my S60 version, just not working with UIQ.

I just sent email to symbiansigned to ask for clarifying those questions, if they reply me, I would share here. but if they don't reply me, i'm going to give up going for symbiansigned. I can survive without my application symbiansigned, but they won't survive if anybody won't go for symbiansigned :-))

-zhxys

Hi, here is the answer I know so far.

it's normal that the (even VeriSign) signatured UIQ applications can't be installed on UIQ phones, test house will remove your signature and use their own.

The test is according to per .sis file, which means you have to seperate UIQ and S60 as two package.

You can nominate a test phone, e.g. N6600, if you use a platform ID, but they suggest to test it as widely as possible. If you just specify a product id in your ,pkg file, of course they will test on that target only.

let you know more later...

Hi,
    thanks for replies ...

What about using conditions like
    "IF MachineUID=0x101fb3dd" .... in your pkg file
    (check: http://www.newlc.com/article.php3?id_article=161) can it be used for platform specific app/rsc/aif/mbm files installation? I didn't try ...?

all the best
    Og

I think that is allowed. Anyway they will test your app on one phone you nominated, and of course you won't nominate a phone on which your app couldn't install.

and I think it can't be used this way like:
    if S60 install my s60.sis...
    elseif UIQ install myuiq.sis....
    because this will involve two .sis files, which will break their rule - per sis file per submit

Re: symbian signed package file

Quote Originally Posted by zhxys
    Hi,

I'm going to apply symbian signed for my application. My application is for both S60 and UIQ phones. Currently, I make two sis files using seperated package file for different target phones.
    My question is: do I need to submit two seperated sis files for S60 and UIQ, or I have to use one package file to make one sis file for both platform?

Thanks for any answers.

-zhxys

Thx, we countered the same problem.
    So,what did u send to symbian test house for uiq test, Did u signed your application with your cer and key file for uiq platform test? And how about s60?