Discussion Board

7710 MMAPI (Camera) Support?

Hey all,

I'm currently on quest(!) to find a touch-screen java (MIDP20) device that implements the camera-control (i.e. take a photo) portion of the MMAPI.

I see on the tech spec page that the new Nokia 7710 is listed as having MMAPI support. Now often this can mean the manufacturer has only implemented a small subset of the API (usually leaving out the camera control).

Seeing as Nokia have been brilliant with the MMAPI support in the series60 phones, I have my fingers crossed that they have also included this in the nokia 7710!?

If not..... is there *any* way of controlling the 7710 camera via java..? I'm pretty much tearing my hair out trying to find a touch screen java device that allows the midlet to take a photo!

any help/input/suggestions appreciated,
    cheers

> Seeing as Nokia have been brilliant with the MMAPI support in the series60 phones.

6600 and 6260 would be very bad examples for this "brilliantness" so

Regards,
    Xavier

Well by 'brilliant' I meant they did actually make the effort to support the (full) MMAPI spec! :-) (unlike the other device manufacturers..)

So no one can tell me if the MMAPI in the nokia 7710 has camera access..??

anyone..?

I have 7710 and have played the MMAPI. I could create players and take snapshots. But the problem was, when I asked for 1024x800 (max) image using
    byte [] raw = vidCon .getSnapshot("encoding=jpeg&width=1024&height=800");

I actually get an image which looks like is not truely high res. It looks it is actaully 160x124 (default for video player mode) and then stretched to 1024x800.

I am making a separate post for this too

-a

Regular Contributor
    MMAPI implementation in Symbian don't give us to make a snapshot in more than 160x120 resolution.
    I think it's a problem of Symbian and JVM