Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Keep script running in the background

Hi,

Is it possible to keep a Python script running in the background while working with other applications in the meantime? Do I need to create stand-alone applications (.sis) for that?

I know Symbian allows simultaneously running applications, but I'm not sure whether the applications in the background are on hold or are running normally.

What I'm trying to do is build an application that monitors for certain events while running in the background. Whenever an event occurs the application should warn the user. Is this possible at all using Python?

Cheers,
    Berco

I'm not sure about python bringing itself to the foreground or automatically "backgrounding" itself, but I know that I have run a python script, switched to another app by holding down the application key (or whatever it's called) on my 6620, and then switched back later to find that it had finished its work. It's easy to confirm this by writing a quick test script.

Regarding APIs that aren't wrapped for python yet, I'm hoping at some point to get around to trying my hand at that. (And much thanks to the PDIS people for what they have contributed so far.)

Super Contributor

Re: Keep script running in the background

Originally posted by bercobeute
    Hi,

Is it possible to keep a Python script running in the background while working with other applications in the meantime?

Do I need to create stand-alone applications (.sis) for that?

I know Symbian allows simultaneously running applications, but I'm not sure whether the applications in the background are on hold or are running normally.

What I'm trying to do is build an application that monitors for certain events while running in the background. Whenever an event occurs the application should warn the user. Is this possible at all using Python?

Cheers,
    Berco
    I'm not sure what you specifically mean by "running in the background", but the answer is yes. If you have a graphical Python application, and you switch to another application, the Python app will still be running in the background. There is also support for starting a Python script in the background, without GUI support. See the e32.start_server() function.

There is no event monitoring support yet. You'd have to write your own C++ extension module to monitor events with the current Python version.