Discussion Board

Unhappy Successful WMA Deployment

Hi, I have managed to create a WMA-based midlet and deployed to 2 mobile phones. This midlet successfully send and receive SMS to a specific port. This works when the SIMs in both phones belongs to a particular telco. It does not work when one of the SIM is switched to another telco. The SMS is received in the Inbox and not directed to the midlet. Does anyone know whether the telco may stripped away the port info in the SMS that is send ? Do they do this or potentially can do this ?

Thanks for any advice and comments.

Edmund

Hi, just to answer my own post. I found that out of the 3 telcos, 1 of them adhere strictly to the GSM 03.40 specification for SMS, restricting ports from 16000 to 16999 for usage only while the other 2 allows port from 17000 to 65535 as well. Another issue which prompted the SMS not to be send seems to be the usage of certain uncommon characters. Cheers !

Edmund

Hi,

I am trying to do the same thing, send sms from a phone's midlet using a specific port and receive it inside the other phone's midlet, but it either doesn't reach the destination (if I use port number) or goes directly into the inbox and not into the midlet (If I don't use port number).

when I open the connection for sending I use: sms://receiving_phone_number:my_midlet_port_number
    and when I open the connection for receiving I use:
    sms://my_midlet_port_number.

If u could tell me how did u do it or send me some example code or documentation or some hints on how to accomplish it. want to say finally that I got it to work in the emulator but it does not seem to work on a real network.

Thanks
    Toufic.

Hi, assuming that your midlet works in the emulator, then my advice would be to try to use diffferent phones, ports & telcos for testing on actual telecommunication networks . I have tested using Nokia 6230 with minimal problems encountered compared to other makes. As to sample codes, I think you can get them easily off the web.

Cheers !

Edmund

SMS Midlets

Hi and thanks for your reply. I finally got it to work. The problem seem to be the port number I am using. I did not work with any port other than 6535. That's the only port I got it to work with. It would be interesting to know if you have it working under the same port or different port. If u had it working under a different port, then it must be mobile network operator related. They must do something at the switch to block or allow those specific ports.

Cheers,
    Toufic.

Hi, I got it working on Port 16500. Actually, there is a document laying down the so-called permitted ports. It is from ETSI and is called GSM 03.40.

Edmund