Discussion Board

inactive debugger in C++BuilderX

Hi,

The debugging feature in C++BuilderX mobile edition 1.5 doesn't seem to work in my installation. The cdb.exe is launched but it stays inactive (= "step into" and "step over" buttons remain grey) so nothing happens. I have the following text in the debugging console window: "C:\Program Files\DebuggingTools\cdb.exe" -2 -s -lines -G "C:/Symbian/8.0a/S60_2nd_FP2/epoc32/release/WINS/UDEB/epoc.exe"
    Microsoft (R) Windows Debugger Version 6.4.0007.2
    Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
    0:000>

Is somebody able to help me?

Regards, JP

Hello!

This doesn't much help You but may be of consolidation :-)

According to my experience most of these "free tools" are pure crap. They look good and promising, but when You really got down to bussiness You're in dead end. It would be real PAIN in the ass, if one had bought the Full version and still wouldn't have it working.

I've been trying Borland mobile tools and I've never managed to get the debugging working. Not to mention code completion (always dies to Symbian header parsing errors).

Only thing ever to work has is Microsoft developer studio - e.g. line by line debugging works like a charm. Alas for a individual developer that's pretty expensive purchase. Dunno if they even sell it anymore (but the .Net versions only).

Debugging is a humangous help on development cycle. If the IDE lacks that, then its just the same using your favourite C++ editor and compiling things manually - no need for crappy Borland tools.

I've tried CodeWarrior years ago and didn't quite like it, although apparently it is pretty nifty tool nowadays and has Nokia support also.

(Please! Prove me wrong and blame with dumb user errors).

I'd love to see Eclipse develop to a point one could debug line by line with code completion. There are some plugins for Symbian app development but have't tried those either.

Hi,

Thanks for your answer. The version I am referring is a promotional one so you may be right. I have a full lisenced version also, which I have been not able to install yet, but I will do it.

I have to say that considering the other features C++BuilderX is offering (supporting a drag and drop GUI construction and an automatic resource and mmp-file editing) it is a very promising development environment and I am very keen on getting it to work.

I am able to open projects made with C++BuilderX and debug them with C++ Builder 6.0 with Symbian SDKs but that is not a real world solution.

There is a minor problem (feature?) with the user interface when debugging which I should understand.