Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

now i'm REALLY confused! >_< ( nokia v se? )

i've developed an midp2.0 game,specifically for nokia series 60 phones. the game works well on nokia series 60 emulator,but it doesn't work at all when i deployed it on nokia 6600 & 7610. those phones r nokia series 60 phones,they do support midp2.0 & they haf screen resolution 176 x 208 which is the resolution for my game. when i was about to give-up on finding the reasons behind this,i "accidentally"(or lucky mayb?) deployed it on Sony Ericsson k700i,which does support midp2.0,but has smaller screen resolution. to my suprise,dat game works perfectly well 8O . so can any1 help xplain dis "phenomenon"? y does a game dat was developed for nokia series 60 phones & works well on the emulator & has screen resolution of 176 x 208 DOES NOT WORKS on the actual nokia series 60 phones BUT INSTEAD WORKING on phone(s) of other brand(s) & has a smaller screen resolution?? >_<

Super Contributor
    Why it works on SE is because SE MIDP 2.0 phones have support for Nokia UI classes (not in SE's emulators, but actual devices). See, e.g., here:
    http://developer.sonyericsson.com/sh...readOnly=false

Why it doesn't work on a Series 60 phone for you I don't know. Perhaps with more details someone could say.

Regular Contributor
    if the game works perfectly well on other brand(s) of phones,dat means dat my game doesn't has any error(s) which resulted it being not playable on nokia phones,correct?
    hmm mayb i need to configure sumthing on the nokia phones to make my game playable on it?

Super Contributor
    The game may not have logic errors, but obviously it, or how you build it, has some sort of faults or it does something it shouldn't, or it doesn't do something it should (it would work otherwise, wouldn't it).

The emulator is not an exact representative of actual devices and device behaviour.

Without more info regarding how it fails on an actual device and what the code does, it is impossible to guess what you should do differently.

Regular Contributor
    hmmm if it has sumthing to do wif how i build it,or it does sumthing it shudn't,or it doesn't do sumthing it shud,then how is it possible for it to be working perfectly well on other brand(s) of phone(s)? do i need to change any settings in the wtk or the .jad or the .jar file? or do i need to change any settings/configurations of the phone(s)?

Super Contributor
    Did you read my reply on the Sun forums?

Like I said there, the devices aren't perfect. Even if you write a perfect application that works on the emulators and on other phones, it can still fail on some devices because you just happened to fall on on of the device's implementation bugs. Series 60 phones don't have very good Java implementations so it's not surprising they crash. Check the known issues docs to see if you can find anything you might be doing "wrong" (and by wrong I mean logically and semantically right, but problematic on a specific device).

That's why everyone stresses the fact that you need to test on every device you plan on supporting.

shmoove

PS: If you're planning on staying in this field I suggest you start getting used to these kind of surprises. It sucks but that's the way it is.