Discussion Board

7650 and picture message

Is the picture message format of 7650 differs from the specs in SMS 3.0. I can send picture messages from other nokia phones to 7650, and the other way around. However I can not send same content directly via the GSM operator. Our GSM operator provides us an interface to add SMS messages to the queue (both short ms and smart ms). However same content does not work with 7650. How can I trace the problem? Is there a way to check the message content that is sent by the handset? (So I may compare the data received by handset and compare it with the data I sent) This is like a big black box of small size (140*n bytes only ) that is there is no key to open it but you can have only thoughts of what is going on inside. I try to send same massage to an older phone (one of the oldest gsm phones not nokia) it shows some odd characters and I try to decrypt that characters from 7-bit character table without any success. I do not know much about the character set conversion between 7 and 8 bit. I try to send the example on the faq as is to 7650 but without success. That example works with other nokia phones supporting picture messages. By the way the ring tone format that is described in the Smart Messaging faq is not interpreted by 7650 also.

Super Contributor

RE: 7650 and picture message

Picture messages are not supported by 7650. Ringing tones are
    supported and seemed to be working also in 7650 sw 3.06.
    GSM specification 03.38 tells all about 7-bit character encoding.
    BR
    M, Forum Nokia

RE: 7650 and picture message

I just played around with a 7650 in a shop and it has a menu "picture messages" in photos list. The picturemessages had also options for sending. Is this then sent NOT via SMS if I understand the first answer?